Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Registry

Today I went to the Registry office to file my birth and marriage certificate. I had no idea how long it would take, mainly because of the language barrier It took forever to find someone who could understand what and why I wanted to do that and I only hope they understood me well enough to get it done correctly. Time will tell if they did and I receive a call that the documents are ready that I need to add to my application for Polish citizenship. It reminded me of our first years here with all the problems we had in government offices because of language. I just don't know enough Polish even now after 9 years living here.

Earlier in the day we had a call from our bank about our credit card payment saying it was overdue even though I had paid it weeks ago. It seems because Joan is the primary name on the account and I am only a secondary account, each account is handled by a different department and one doesn't know what the other is doing. Finally, after two hours on the phone, we got it straightened out. It was a little frustrating but we have dealt with things like this before so it was no big thing in the end.

Last night I had a good time with my little neighbor, Zuzia, convincing her to teach me the Polish Christmas carol, Dzisiaj w Betlejem. There are 5 verses but I think only 3 or 4 are actually sung, normally. It will be interesting if she continues to help me.

Dzisiaj poszedłem do urzędu stanu cywilnego, aby wypełnić dokumenty do uzyskania aktów mojego urodzenia i małżeństwa. Nie miałem pojęcia, jak długo mogłoby to potrwać, głównie ze względu na barierę językową.  Wieki zajęło  znalezienie kogoś, kto mógłby zrozumieć, co i dlaczego chciałem zrobić i tylko mam nadzieję, że rozumieją mnie na tyle dobrze, aby zrobić to poprawnie. Czas pokaże, czy zrozumieli, a ja odbiorę telefon, że dokumenty są gotowe, by je dodać do mojego wniosku o polskie obywatelstwo. Przypomniały mi się nasze pierwsze lata tutaj ze wszystkimi problemami, jakie mieliśmy w urzędach z powodu języka. Nie znam wystarczająco języka polskiego nawet teraz po 9 latach tutaj spędzonych.

Wcześniej tego dnia mieliśmy telefon z naszego banku na temat płatności kartą kredytową z informacją mówiącą, że zalegam ze spłatą,  choć zapłaciłem to tydzień temu. Wydaje się, że z powodu tego, że Joan figuruje jako główny posiadacz konta, a ja jestem drugim właścicielem, to każde konto jest obsługiwane przez inny dział i jeden nie wie, co robi drugi. Wreszcie, po dwóch godzinach „na telefonie”, mamy sprawę  wyprostowaną.  To było trochę frustrujące, ale mieliśmy do czynienia z takimi rzeczami, jak ta już wcześniej, więc to w końcu nie było nic wielkiego.

Zeszłego wieczoru świetnie się bawiłem z moją małą sąsiadką Zuzią, przekonując ją, aby nauczyła mnie polskiej kolędy „Dzisiaj w Betlejem”. Istnieje 5 zwrotek, ale myślę, że tylko 3 lub 4 są rzeczywiście śpiewane. To będzie interesujące, jeśli ona nadal będzie mi pomagać.

No comments:

Post a Comment