Saturday, July 24, 2021

Used to.

I used to like watching Joan walk when we were younger. She was always a faster walker than me and it gave me pleasure to see her glide in front of me.  When we entered a room, club, or bar, all eyes turned on her because she was so beautiful and she walked with such confidence in herself.  I couldn't believe it was me she chose to be with, out of all the choices she could have had. It made me feel great. Now, she is mainly in a wheelchair.

I used to like talking with her on almost any subject because, usually, she knew more than I did, except for music. Our conversations could last hours on any subject and she was never lost for words. Every meal we had together was a discussion on some subject from religion, politics, life, the universe, our kids, or just life in general. Now, our meals are silent unless I try to engage her, and even then her answers are short.

I used to like learning a new language with her but now that is too difficult for her. I continue on my own but I miss having her to study with.

All of these things have been taken from us by this horrible disease, dementia, and strokes. I miss the things that used to be but I don't dwell on them. I accept them all as I have no choice in the matter and I am only grateful for the time we have together. Yes, it takes me through many emotions from sad, angry, disillusioned about the future, all because of the above. However, on the bright side, I still have her with me, still have the ability to make her laugh and be happy, still uphold my vow, "in sickness and in health", and most of all, she still knows who I am. For now, that is enough.

Lubiłem z nią rozmawiać na prawie każdy temat, bo zazwyczaj wiedziała więcej ode mnie, z wyjątkiem muzyki. Nasze rozmowy mogły trwać godzinami na dowolny temat i nigdy nie brakowało jej słów. Każdy nasz wspólny posiłek był dyskusją na jakiś temat, od religii, polityki, życia, wszechświata, naszych dzieci, czy po prostu życia w ogóle. Teraz nasze posiłki są ciche, chyba że próbuję ją zaangażować w rozmowę, a nawet wtedy jej odpowiedzi są krótkie.

Kiedyś lubiłem uczyć się z nią nowego języka, ale teraz jest to dla niej zbyt trudne. Kontynuuję naukę na własną rękę, ale brakuje mi jej towarzystwa.

Wszystkie te sprawy zostały nam odebrane przez tę straszną chorobę, demencję i udary. Brakuje mi rzeczy, które były kiedyś, ale nie rozwodzę się nad nimi. Akceptuję je wszystkie, ponieważ nie mam wyboru i jestem wdzięczny za czas, który mamy razem. Tak, z powodu powyższego przechodzę przez wiele emocji od smutku, złości, rozczarowania co do przyszłości. Jednak z drugiej strony, wciąż mam ją przy sobie, wciąż mam możliwość sprawić, by się śmiała i była szczęśliwa, wciąż podtrzymuję moją przysięgę, "w chorobie i zdrowiu", a przede wszystkim, ona wciąż wie, kim jestem. Na razie to wystarczy.

Me gustaba hablar con ella de casi cualquier tema porque, normalmente, sabía más que yo, excepto de música. Nuestras conversaciones podían durar horas sobre cualquier tema y ella nunca se quedaba sin palabras. Cada comida que hacíamos juntos era una discusión sobre algún tema de religión, política, la vida, el universo, nuestros hijos, o simplemente la vida en general. Ahora, nuestras comidas son silenciosas a no ser que intente hacerla participar, e incluso entonces sus respuestas son cortas.

Me gustaba aprender un nuevo idioma con ella, pero ahora es demasiado difícil para ella. Sigo por mi cuenta, pero echo de menos tenerla para estudiar.

Esta horrible enfermedad, la demencia y los derrames cerebrales nos han arrebatado todas estas cosas. Echo de menos las cosas que solían ser, pero no me detengo en ellas. Las acepto todas ya que no tengo elección en el asunto y sólo estoy agradecida por el tiempo que tenemos juntos. Sí, me hace pasar por muchas emociones, desde tristeza, enfado, desilusión por el futuro, todo por lo anterior. Sin embargo, el lado bueno es que todavía la tengo conmigo, todavía tengo la capacidad de hacerla reír y ser feliz, todavía mantengo mi voto, "en la salud y en la enfermedad", y sobre todo, ella todavía sabe quién soy. Por ahora, eso es suficiente.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 PM

    I just read a quote today saying,
    "Hugs were invented so you don't have to speak 'I love you'"

    While I still think it's nice to say such words (and mean them!), sometimes just silence can be more powerful; and, touch is definitely so....

    I understand your missing the talk, but, you must now communicate
    in new ways-- or resurrect old ways, right. So, maybe touching (other than the usual to be expected now, gripping, lifting, supporting, why not sneak in some magic-- in the form of hugs,gentle head n'shoulder massages/hand-foot reflexology, a few momments of just holding/embracing.

    A great way to communicate, no? Communicating that magic touch" that makes Joan feel "seen"/acknowledged, in lieu of the missing conversations. With your love of music, how about dancing? It doesn't have to be "the Tango" or other intricate steps. The Waltz-- 1,2,3,...1,2,3.

    And, no need to "pile it on" or make it a dutiful practice. Choose unexpected momenst for these endearments. After she wakes up from a nap, say (w. some energy), turn on some appropriate music and ask her for a dance. At the end, just hold her for a few moments-- heart-to-heart, before returning to her wheelchair. No words needed, but, bet
    she will be delighted....

    Your choices may be limited, but, see them more as having just 'changed'...have fun discovering new ways-- how about a few momemts of just looking into each others eyes in silent love and appreciation?

    ~Ess


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ess, but I do all of the above already. I am a romantic, things like that do not stop.

    ReplyDelete