Friday, March 11, 2022

New adventure

 For the last two years, like most people, we have been somewhat isolated from traveling. Our idea to be in Spain for the winter was canceled due to Covid-19 and Joan's health. Yesterday was the first time I made a new trip, not by car but by bus.

When we lived in our old flat, across the street from us was a bus stop for bus #164. I have used it several times to go to the Jezyce market to buy duck breasts. The bus traveled beyond that stop and I always wondered where it went. Yesterday I found out because I had to go across town to the ophthalmologist to have my eyes dilated and examined.

I looked at the local MPK bus schedule and discovered that the same bus could take me from our flat in Gorczyn close to the doctor's office. I only had to walk 10 blocks to take the bus there, free of charge because of my age. That was great considering the price of 7.09 PLN for a liter of gasoline.

Like I said, I have ridden this bus before but not so extensively down all the new streets. It gave me a better understanding of how to connect to Solacki Park in the Spring without using the car. 

I arrive 10 minutes early for my meeting. I checked in and the assistant put the drops for dilation into my eyes. Then I waited 20 minutes until I was called in. The further examination confirmed I need cataract operations in both eyes. My ophthalmologist is a  private doctor so I asked how much it would cost. She said if done privately, 3,500-4,000 PLN for each eye. To me, that meant 7,000-8,000 PLN. However, she said she would not be the surgery, it would be done by the "King", (in her words) of cataract surgery and it would be done in an NFZ hospital. There would be NO charge for the surgery since Joan and I both have national health care. That was fantastic news. I am just waiting on the date for the surgery next month.

The bus ride home was just a reversal of going there except there was a slight cloud over my eyes. Everything included, I spent 2 hours yesterday on the new bus ride adventure. I did see some beautiful buildings on the way there.

Przez ostatnie dwa lata, jak większość ludzi, byliśmy w pewnym sensie odizolowani od podróżowania. Nasz pomysł, aby spędzić zimę w Hiszpanii, został odwołany ze względu na stan zdrowia Joan i Covid-19. Wczoraj po raz pierwszy wybrałem się w nową podróż, nie samochodem, ale autobusem. 

Kiedy mieszkaliśmy w naszym starym mieszkaniu, naprzeciwko nas znajdował się przystanek autobusu nr 164. Korzystałem z niego kilka razy, aby pojechać na rynek Jeżyce, by  kupić piersi z kaczki. Autobus jeździ dalej niż  przystanek na Jeżycach i zawsze zastanawiałem się, dokąd prowadzi jego linia. Wczoraj się dowiedziałem, bo musiałem pojechać do okulisty na drugi koniec miasta, żeby zbadać oczy. 

Sprawdziłem rozkład jazdy autobusów MPK i odkryłem, że ten sam autobus może mnie zabrać z naszego mieszkania na Górczynie blisko do gabinetu lekarskiego. Musiałem przejść tylko 10 przecznic, aby dojść do przystanku, by wsiąść fo autobusu i jechać nim bezpłatnie ze względu na mój wiek. To było świetne, biorąc pod uwagę cenę 7,09 zł za litr benzyny. 

Jak już wspomniałem, jeździłem tym autobusem wcześniej, ale nie po wszystkich nowych ulicach. Dzięki temu lepiej zrozumiałem, jak dojechać do Parku Solackiego wiosną nie używając samochodu. 

Na spotkanie przybyłem 10 minut wcześniej. Zameldowałem się, a asystentka wkropiła mi do oczu krople rozszerzające. Potem czekałem 20 minut, aż zostałem wezwany na salę. Dalsze badania potwierdziły, że potrzebuję operacje usunięcia zaćmy w obu oczach. Mój okulista jest lekarzem prywatnym, więc zapytałem, ile to będzie kosztować. Powiedziała, że jeśli będzie to robione prywatnie, to 3 500-4 000 zł za każde oko. Dla mnie oznaczało to 7 000-8 000 zł. Powiedziała jednak, że to nie ona będzie przeprowadzać operację, tylko "król" (według jej słów) chirurgii zaćmy i że będzie ona przeprowadzona w szpitalu NFZ. Za operację nie będzie pobierana żadna opłata, ponieważ oboje z Joan mamy państwową opiekę zdrowotną. To była fantastyczna wiadomość. Czekam tylko na termin operacji, która odbędzie się w przyszłym miesiącu. 

Jazda autobusem do domu była odbywała się tą samą trasą z tą różnicą, że przed moimi oczami pojawiła się lekka mgiełka. Wczoraj spędziłem 2 godziny z nową przygodą, jaką jest jazda autobusem. Po drodze zobaczyłem kilka pięknych budynków.

Cuando vivíamos en nuestro antiguo piso, al otro lado de la calle había una parada del autobús nº 164. La he utilizado varias veces para ir al mercado de Jezyce a comprar pechugas de pato. El autobús pasaba más allá de esa parada y siempre me preguntaba a dónde iba. Ayer lo descubrí porque tuve que ir al otro lado de la ciudad al oftalmólogo para que me dilatara y examinara los ojos.

Miré el horario de los autobuses locales de la MPK y descubrí que el mismo autobús podía llevarme desde nuestro piso en Gorczyn, cerca de la consulta del médico. Sólo tuve que caminar 10 manzanas para tomar el autobús hasta allí, de forma gratuita debido a mi edad. Fue estupendo teniendo en cuenta el precio de 7,09 PLN por un litro de gasolina.

Como he dicho, ya había montado en este autobús antes, pero no tan extensamente por todas las calles nuevas. Me sirvió para entender mejor cómo conectar con el parque Solacki en primavera sin usar el coche. 

Llegué 10 minutos antes de mi reunión. Me registré y el asistente me puso las gotas para la dilatación en los ojos. Luego esperé 20 minutos hasta que me llamaron. El examen posterior confirmó que necesito operaciones de cataratas en ambos ojos. Mi oftalmólogo es un médico privado, así que le pregunté cuánto costaría. Me dijo que si se hacía de forma privada, entre 3.500 y 4.000 zlotys por cada ojo. Para mí, eso significaba 7.000-8.000 zlotys. Sin embargo, me dijo que no sería ella la que operaría, sino que lo haría el "Rey" (según sus palabras) de la cirugía de cataratas y que se haría en un hospital de la NFZ. No habría ningún cargo por la cirugía ya que Joan y yo tenemos asistencia sanitaria nacional. Fue una noticia fantástica. Sólo estoy esperando la fecha de la operación el mes que viene.

El viaje de vuelta a casa en autobús fue una inversión de la ida, excepto que había una ligera nube sobre mis ojos. Todo incluido, ayer pasé 2 horas en la nueva aventura del viaje en autobús. Sí vi algunos edificios hermosos en el camino.

5 comments:

  1. My husband had both of his eyes done for Cataracts. They did one at a time. Easy surgery the only after care is putting a lot of different drops in. You will need someone to drive you. I don't know if they will let you take a bus.
    Now my husband needs Macular surgery. He has a hole in his Macular. It is genetic and has nothing to do with the cataracts. Again it is an easy surgery, but the recovery again involves drops and he has to keep his head down for 5 days, except when he eats. They put a bubble in the hole and it needs to stay there to heal. He will be able to see the bubble and when it disappears, it should be healed. Our daughter is going to borrow a chair for him from someone she knows who also had the surgery. The doctor suggested he hang his head over the end or side of the bed to sleep. Isn't ageing fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:34 PM

    Linda from Texas
    Yes just as Helen said, it was an easy surgery and the difference in your eyesight is wonderful. I also had macular hole surgery before the cataract procedure. Had to wait one year before they could do cataract procedure. Sitting in that chair and sleeping with my head in a padded frame for a week was torture. Thank God the company we rented the chair from had a special mirror so I could watch TV while in the chair. Not fun getting old for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen and Linda, both eyes will be operated on the same day with only a break to get clean instruments for the second operation. I will stay 3 days in the hospital. Because of my tremors, I will be completely anesthetized. As soon as I have the date, I will make arrangements to have Joan stay in a senior residence house for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,
    It sound like you have great care and they are looking out for what it best for you and your situation. I'm glad you have all your ducks in a row. I wish you good luck and that things continue to go smooth for both you and Joan. Thanks for letting us know so we don't have to worry about you if you are off line for a while.
    Sincerely,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Linda from Texas
    Praying for you and Joan.

    ReplyDelete