Thursday, May 13, 2021

Shopping day.

I had a chance to keep our food bill at 120 PLN($37) this week but since it was that "low" I bought a large bag of dried cranberries that will last at least 3 weeks of daily consumption with breakfasts.  Usually the 1kg. bag costs 23PLN but today it was on sale for 14 and I couldn't pass up the bargain price. I am much more aware of prices now that I do all of the shopping. I am a fast shopper, 45 minutes and I am done. 

The weather has been good for the last 4 days and made it easier for Joan to sit and read on the balcony. She is about halfway through her current book and when she nears the end I will get her another by the same author, Zafon. When I am not busy doing a household thing, I ask her to read aloud to me. I can see it is more difficult for her to read now, it is slow. Her brain takes longer to recognize words. Later, I ask her to tell me what she has read but she can't remember it all. I don't know who feels worse, her or me. She is sitting on the balcony now with a baseball-type cap on her head because somewhere during the last year when her sunglasses were lost. I need to buy her a new pair.

In the afternoon we watched a concert in Australia in 1964 with the Beatles. The quality wasn't good like now but it reminded me of the first time I heard about them, I was 20 years old, in the U.S.Navy stationed in Rota, Spain. My job was being a disc jockey, not like the D.J.'s of today, playing music on the Armed Forces Radio network. 

A younger girl I knew had just returned from England and she brought the first album recorded by the Beatles. I listened to it but didn't like it much. The music was very basic and most songs used only three or four chords. I was used to jazz which I considered at a higher level of music. It wasn't until about four years later that I started appreciating their music in the album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

W tym tygodniu miałam szansę utrzymać nasze rachunki za jedzenie na poziomie 120 PLN (37$), ale skoro były tak "niskie", kupiłam dużą torbę suszonej żurawiny, która wystarczy na co najmniej 3 tygodnie codziennego spożywania jej na śniadania.  Zazwyczaj 1kg. worek kosztuje 23PLN, ale dzisiaj był na wyprzedaży za 14 i nie mogłem przejść obok tej okazyjnej ceny. Jestem dużo bardziej świadoma cen teraz, kiedy sama robię zakupy. Jestem szybkim klientem, 45 minut i gotowe. 

Pogoda była dobra przez ostatnie 4 dni i ułatwiła Joan siedzenie i czytanie na balkonie. Jest mniej więcej w połowie swojej obecnej książki, a kiedy zbliży się do końca, kupię jej kolejną tego samego autora, Zafona. Kiedy nie jestem zajęta domowymi sprawami, proszę ją, by czytała mi na głos. Widzę, że teraz czytanie jest dla niej trudniejsze, jest powolne. Jej mózg potrzebuje więcej czasu, aby rozpoznać słowa. Później proszę ją, żeby mi opowiedziała, co przeczytała, ale nie pamięta wszystkiego. Nie wiem, kto czuje się gorzej, ona czy ja. Siedzi teraz na balkonie w czapce z daszkiem na głowie, bo gdzieś podczas ostatniej wizyty zgubiła okulary przeciwsłoneczne. Muszę jej kupić nową parę.

Po południu obejrzeliśmy koncert Beatlesów w Australii w 1964 roku. Jakość nie była tak dobra jak teraz, ale przypomniało mi się, kiedy po raz pierwszy o nich usłyszałem, miałem 20 lat, byłem w Marynarce Wojennej Stanów Zjednoczonych stacjonującej na Rocie w Hiszpanii. Moja praca polegała na byciu disc jockey'em, nie takim jak dzisiejsi D.J.'s, grającym muzykę w sieci radiowej Armed Forces Radio. 

Młodsza dziewczyna, którą znałem, właśnie wróciła z Anglii i przywiozła pierwszy album nagrany przez Beatlesów. Posłuchałem jej, ale nie bardzo mi się podobała. Muzyka była bardzo prosta, a większość piosenek używała tylko trzech lub czterech akordów. Byłem przyzwyczajony do jazzu, który uważałem za wyższy poziom muzyczny. Dopiero jakieś cztery lata później zacząłem doceniać ich muzykę w albumie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Tuve la oportunidad de mantener nuestra cuenta de alimentos en 120 PLN($37) esta semana, pero como era tan "baja" compré una bolsa grande de arándanos secos que durará al menos 3 semanas de consumo diario con los desayunos.  Normalmente la bolsa de 1kg. cuesta 23PLN pero hoy estaba en oferta por 14 y no pude dejar pasar el precio de ganga. Soy mucho más consciente de los precios ahora que hago toda la compra. Soy una compradora rápida, 45 minutos y ya he terminado. 

El tiempo ha sido bueno durante los últimos 4 días y facilitó que Joan se sentara a leer en el balcón. Está a la mitad de su libro actual y cuando se acerque al final le conseguiré otro del mismo autor, Zafón. Cuando no estoy ocupada haciendo alguna cosa de la casa, le pido que me lea en voz alta. Veo que ahora le cuesta más leer, es lento. Su cerebro tarda más en reconocer las palabras. Después le pido que me cuente lo que ha leído, pero no lo recuerda todo. No sé quién se siente peor, si ella o yo. Ahora está sentada en el balcón con una gorra de béisbol en la cabeza porque en algún momento de la última ańo cuando se le perdieron las gafas de sol. Tengo que comprarle un par nuevo.

Por la tarde vimos un concierto en Australia en 1964 con los Beatles. La calidad no era tan buena como ahora, pero me recordó la primera vez que los oí, tenía 20 años, estaba en la Marina de los Estados Unidos destinado en Rota, España. Mi trabajo era ser disc jockey, no como los D.J. de hoy, poniendo música en la red de Radio de las Fuerzas Armadas. 

Una chica joven que conocía acababa de volver de Inglaterra y trajo el primer disco grabado por los Beatles. Lo escuché pero no me gustó mucho. La música era muy básica y la mayoría de las canciones sólo utilizaban tres o cuatro acordes. Yo estaba acostumbrado al jazz, que consideraba un nivel musical superior. No fue hasta unos cuatro años después cuando empecé a apreciar su música en el álbum Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:23 AM

    Hi David,

    Don't know IF my comment showed up in your recent post (under, shopping trip) where you mentioned the Beatles. Besides what I commented (about their early trips to Chicago/landing @ Midway Airport near where I'd lived), I found these retro news items:


    https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/chi-chicagodays-beatles-story-story.html

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-per-flash-beatles-0731-20110730-story.html

    Anyway, hope rest of my comment shows up on your end.

    ~Ess

    ReplyDelete