Sunday, May 01, 2022

Finished

 It is finished. Both eyes were operated on last Friday morning at 11:30. The operation lasted one hour and for the rest of the day, I was lying on the bed. I received the good news that I would be going home on Saturday after the doctor did a final exam. Both of my eyes were covered with plastic shields to protect them but I could see a little light.

On Saturday, I was given a prescription for 4 different kinds of eye drops that I must administer every day for the next two weeks. It presented a little problem as I had no way to get to the Apteka before they closed at 14:00(2 PM). I called an acquaintance, Karolina, and she said she would get the prescription filled and bring them to me. The cost was 150 PLN($34)/ The operation was 8,000PLN($1,800)but national healthcare paid for it all.

Now, I am again at home in recovery and can only listen to music, watch movies, and talk with Joan via telephone/

I spoke with her last night and she said she is satisfied where she is but would like to return home as soon as possible. I did not remind her she must stay there for 1 month before the happens. As soon as it is possible for me to drive again, I will go and visit her. The caregivers have been very helpful with my phone calls to Joan. Often, when I call there is no answer on Joan's phone. So, I call the office phone and when they answer, I ask them, in Polish, if they would help Joan answer my call. They do it with no delay. This way, I am able to talk with her every day. Only on the day of the operation did I not talk with her.

My vision is not 100% yet. My friend, Joanna, the opthalmologist, said it will take 3-4days before it clears and it is very important that I use the eye drops every day, which, of course, I will.

To już koniec. W zeszły piątek o 11:30 rano zoperowano mi oczy. Operacja trwała godzinę, a przez resztę dnia leżałem na łóżku. W sobotę otrzymałem dobrą wiadomość, że po ostatecznym badaniu przez lekarza wyjdę do domu. Na obie gałki były położone plastikowe osłonki, ale mogłem widzieć trochę światła. 

W sobotę dostałem receptę na 4 różne rodzaje kropli do oczu, które muszę aplikować codziennie przez następne dwa tygodnie. Było to trochę problematyczne, ponieważ nie miałem jak dostać się do apteki przed zamknięciem o 14:00. Zadzwoniłem do znajomej, Karoliny, która powiedziała, że zrealizuje receptę i przywiezie mi je. Koszt kropli wyniósł 150 PLN (34$)/ Operacja kosztowała 8000 PLN (1800$), NFZ zapłaciło za wszystko. 

Teraz znów jestem w domu, odpoczywam i mogę tylko słuchać muzyki, oglądać filmy i rozmawiać z Joan przez telefon. 

Rozmawiałem z nią wczoraj wieczorem i powiedziała mi, że jest zadowolona z miejsca, w którym się znajduje, ale chciałaby jak najszybciej wrócić do domu. Nie przypomniałem jej, że musi tam zostać przez miesiąc, zanim wróci do domu. Jak tylko będę mógł znów prowadzić samochód, odwiedzę ją. Opiekunowie byli bardzo pomocni, jeśli chodzi o moje telefony do Joan. Często, gdy dzwonię, telefon Joan nie odpowiada. Dzwonię więc do biura, a kiedy odbierają, pytam po polsku, czy pomogliby Joan odebrać mój telefon. Robią to bezzwłocznie. W ten sposób mogę z nią rozmawiać codziennie. Tylko w dniu operacji nie rozmawiałem z nią. 

Mój wzrok nie jest jeszcze stuprocentowy. Moja przyjaciółka Joanna, okulistka, powiedziała, że miną 3-4 dni, zanim się poprawi, i że bardzo ważne jest, abym codziennie używał kropli do oczu, co oczywiście robię.

Ya ha terminado. El viernes pasado a las 11:30 de la mañana me operaron los ojos. La operación duró una hora y estuve en reposo el resto del día. El sábado recibí la buena noticia de que me iría a casa tras un último examen del médico. Me pusieron tapas de plástico en ambos globos oculares, pero pude ver algo de luz. 

El sábado me recetaron 4 tipos diferentes de gotas para los ojos que tengo que aplicar todos los días durante las próximas dos semanas. Esto supuso un pequeño problema, ya que no tenía forma de llegar a la farmacia antes de que cerrara a las 2 de la tarde. Llamé a una amiga, Karolina, que me dijo que rellenaría la receta y me la traería. El coste de las gotas fue de 150 PLN (34$)/ La operación costó 8000 PLN (1800$), NFZ pagó todo. 

Ahora estoy de nuevo en casa, descansando y sólo puedo escuchar música, ver películas y hablar con Joan por teléfono. 

Anoche hablé con ella y me dijo que estaba contenta con el lugar donde estaba, pero que le gustaría volver a casa lo antes posible. No le recordé que tiene que quedarse allí un mes antes de volver a casa. En cuanto pueda volver a conducir, la visitaré. Los cuidadores han sido de gran ayuda con mis llamadas telefónicas a Joan. A menudo, cuando llamo, el teléfono de Joan no responde. Así que llamo a la oficina y, cuando contestan, pregunto en polaco si pueden ayudar a Joan a contestar mi teléfono. Lo hacen sin demora. Así puedo hablar con ella todos los días. Sólo el día de la operación no hablé con ella. 

Mi vista aún no está al 100%. Mi amigo Joan, el oftalmólogo, me ha dicho que tardará entre 3 y 4 días en mejorar y que es muy importante que use gotas para los ojos todos los días, cosa que por supuesto hago.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    Linda from Texas

    Glad the operation is done. Now those annoying eye drops begin. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:26 PM

    I’m glad it all went well.

    ReplyDelete