Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Terrified!

On Friday, I had a blood test to check my PSA level. It is used to detect prostate cancer. 10 years ago, I had it, and it was treated with radiotherapy. Since then, I have had it checked every three months. The normal range is between 0 and 4. My last test result was 0.33, which is still very good.

Thinking it was time to check it again, I did it. Monday morning, I received the result. It was shocking. 4.4. I couldn't believe it had gotten so high in three months, so I looked at the date on the last one. Another shock. The date said September 12, 2025. I don't know why I missed those quarterly blood tests, but I did.

Panicked, I called to make an appointment with my private urologist, knowing it could be months before I would be able to see him. Thankfully, to my surprise, he had an opening the next day at 5:10.

We arrived on time. I went into his office, and he said it had been three years since my last visit. I explained that I had been keeping a close watch on my PSA until the last test last year. As a result of that mishap, I now had a PSA of 4.4. He examined me with sonograms in different places and told me not to worry; everything looked good. Also, that 4.4 was acceptable and to come back in 6 months.

I can't express the relief I felt. My only thought before was that I could not leave this planet before Joan. I have to be able to always take care of her.