Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Toilet

 I lived a few years without a toilet while living in the forest. Any tree would do when necessary. I thought it was time to build one. I chose an area away from the house but still in view.

First, I dug a deep hole and then put in the foundation for the structure. It wasn't big, just big enough for a 2-hole seat. I still had one of the large panels of glass so I put a large window on the east-facing side. Facing the south, I also put in two smaller windows. The door was facing the house and the north side was completely covered in wood.

Next. I built the frame and roof rafters. When that was done, I covered the frame with cedar boards and put tar paper over the boards on the roof. I had some tin roof metal leftover from the house so I used that so future snow will easily slide off.

The door took a little time to build and put in place. When it was finished, I put in the wood floor and last, the frame and 2-hole seat.

Inside was a paper holder and a bucket containing wood ashes from my woodstove to be used when necessary. There was no heat in it, of course, but it was still better than out in the elements, especially in winter.

When it was done, I was very happy with my project.

Kiedy mieszkałem w lesie,  kilka lat nie miałem toalety. W razie potrzeby każde drzewo się nadawało. Pomyślałem, że nadszedł czas, aby zbudować jedną. Wybrałem teren z dala od domu, ale wciąż w zasięgu wzroku.

Najpierw wykopałem głęboki dół, a następnie wylałem fundament pod konstrukcję. Nie był on duży, w sam raz na siedzisko z 2 otworami. Miałem jeszcze jedną dużą szybę, więc wstawiłem duże okno od strony wschodniej. Od strony południowej również wstawiłem dwa mniejsze okna. Drzwi były skierowane w stronę domu, a północna strona była całkowicie pokryta drewnem.

Następnie zbudowałem szkielet przyszłej toalety i krokwie dachowe. Kiedy były gotowe, pokryłem konstrukcję deskami cedrowymi i położyłem papę na deski na dachu. Miałem kawałek  blaszanego dachu, który  pozostał z dachu domu, więc umocowalem go na daszku, aby zimą śnieg łatwo się z niego zsuwał.

Zbudowanie i umieszczenie drzwi zajęłęło trochę czasu. Kiedy były gotowe, ułożyłem drewnianą podłogę, a na koniec siedzisko z dwoma otworami.

No comments:

Post a Comment