Friday, September 18, 2026

Visit from Gabriela.

Yesterday, Gabriela, a former caregiver for Joan, visited at 4:30. She is a future pharmacist currently doing her internship.

She spent the last three months in Portugal as part of the Erasmus program. She had many stories to tell us of her adventures there, as well as in Kenya, where she went after Erasmus was over.

We spent four hours together before it was time for her to leave. Joan and I were thankful for her remembering us.

The drop-down shade on the large south-facing window in front of my laptop fell down and broke the mechanism that raises and lowers it. The shade was in good condition; just the plastic mechanism broke. I thought I would have to buy a whole new shade, but at Leroy Merlin, the employee told me I could just buy the replacement parts if I knew what model of shade I had. Of course, I didn't. I looked at the different bags of parts and bought one to take home and see if it would work.

After learning how to fit the pieces together, I think it will, but I have to wait for Paige to come next week to put it in place. It is too wide to do on my own.

Meanwhile: Ukraine:

Ukraine’s General Staff reported strikes on an Orion drone control station in occupied Crimea, a drone launch site near Donetsk, and two depots in the Luhansk region. The General Staff said the strikes took place on Sept. 17 and overnight into Sept. 18.

 The General Staff said damaging the ground control station could significantly restrict Russia’s ability to operate Orion systems in that area.

 Ukrainian forces also hit a facility near Donetsk used to store, prepare, and launch Russian attack drones, according to the General Staff.

In the Luhansk region, the General Staff reported strikes on an ammunition depot near Dovzhansk and a military supply depot near Kypuche.