Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas past.

I just started to write this before the date deadline. At midnight it automatically starts a new day so I try to write before that.

The day did not start off well. Joan was unable to stand up and it took a lot of energy and time to move her from one place to another. I don't know why it happened, of course. She was fine yesterday. I guess it was just a little Christmas surprise. By early evening she was walking a little with my help, a few steps.

Most of the day I just sat with her and watched a lot of Andrea Bocelli's Christmas programs. It was a good distraction but my mind had a little trouble forgetting about the morning. The programs made me think of my son Eric and the Christmases we spent together when he was young. He would have been 53 on the 27th, the same birth date as my sister, Tami. She will be 6. They were 10 years apart in age. Like my son, they were not in my life enough due to various reasons. I would give almost anything to have those missing years back. You don't know what you have until you lose it. I think that's a line from some song.

I think I have about 65 Christmases stored in my brain but, naturally, can't really remember them all. The ones I spent with most of my cousins and family stand out the most, The 2 I spent in Spain still remain, ice skating in Riverside park on Christmas day is another, the Wigilia ones, midnight masses, White Christmases, and the one I missed being on an aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean Sea. I remember that one because my brother put a hat I wore on the top of the Christmas tree at home instead of the traditional angel. It was to remind everyone about me. I loved my brother and still think of him often 47 years after his death.

Właśnie zacząłem to pisać przed upływem terminu. O północy automatycznie zaczyna się nowy dzień, więc staram się pisać wcześniej.

Dzień nie zaczął się dobrze. Joanna nie była w stanie wstać i przeniesienie jej z jednego miejsca na drugie wymagało dużo energii i czasu. Nie wiem oczywiście, dlaczego tak się stało. Wczoraj było z nią wszystko w porządku. Myślę, że to była taka mała świąteczna niespodzianka. Do wczesnego wieczora chodziła z moją pomocą, po kilka kroków.

Przez większość dnia po prostu siedziałem z nią i oglądałem dużo świątecznych programów Andrei Bocellego. To było dobre odwrócenie uwagi, ale mój umysł miał trochę problemów z zapomnieniem o poranku. Programy sprawiły, że pomyślałem o moim synu Ericu i o świętach, które spędziliśmy razem, kiedy był młody. On miałby 53 na 27, ta sama data urodzenia jak moja siostra, Tami. Ona będzie miała 6 lat. Dzieliło ich 10 lat różnicy wieku. Podobnie jak mój syn, z różnych powodów nie było ich w moim życiu wystarczająco dużo. Oddałabym prawie wszystko, żeby mieć te brakujące lata z powrotem. Nie wiesz, co masz, dopóki tego nie stracisz. To chyba wers z jakiejś piosenki.

Myślę, że w moim mózgu mam zapisanych około 65 świąt Bożego Narodzenia, ale oczywiście nie pamiętam ich wszystkich. Te, które spędziłem z większością moich kuzynów i rodziny wyróżniają się najbardziej, 2, które spędziłem w Hiszpanii nadal pozostają, jazda na łyżwach w parku Riverside w dzień Bożego Narodzenia to kolejny, te wigilijne, msze o północy, Białe Święta, i ten, który przegapiłem będąc na lotniskowcu na Morzu Śródziemnym. Pamiętam ten jeden, ponieważ mój brat umieścił na czubku choinki w domu czapkę, którą nosiłem, zamiast tradycyjnego anioła. Miało to przypominać wszystkim o mnie. Kochałem mojego brata i nadal często o nim myślę 47 lat po jego śmierci.

Acabo de empezar a escribir esto antes de la fecha límite. A medianoche comienza automáticamente un nuevo día, así que intento escribir antes.

El día no empezó bien. Joan no podía levantarse y le costó mucha energía y tiempo moverla de un sitio a otro. No sé por qué ocurrió, por supuesto. Ayer estaba bien. Supongo que fue una pequeña sorpresa navideña. A primera hora de la tarde ya caminaba un poco con mi ayuda, unos pocos pasos.

La mayor parte del día me senté con ella y vi muchos programas navideños de Andrea Bocelli. Fue una buena distracción, pero a mi mente le costó un poco olvidarse de la mañana. Los programas me hicieron pensar en mi hijo Eric y en las Navidades que pasamos juntos cuando era joven. Habría cumplido 53 años el 27, la misma fecha de nacimiento de mi hermana, Tami. Ella tendrá 6 años. Les separaban 10 años de edad. Al igual que mi hijo, no estuvieron en mi vida lo suficiente debido a diversas razones. Daría casi cualquier cosa por recuperar esos años perdidos. No sabes lo que tienes hasta que lo pierdes. Creo que es una frase de alguna canción.

Creo que tengo unas 65 Navidades almacenadas en mi cerebro pero, naturalmente, no puedo recordarlas todas. Las que más destacan son las que pasé con la mayoría de mis primos y familiares, las 2 que pasé en España aún permanecen, patinar sobre hielo en el parque de Riverside el día de Navidad es otra, las de Wigilia, las misas de medianoche, las Navidades Blancas, y la que me perdí estando en un portaaviones en el Mar Mediterráneo. Esa la recuerdo porque mi hermano puso un gorro que yo llevaba en la copa del árbol de Navidad de casa en lugar del tradicional ángel. Era para recordarle a todo el mundo que era yo. Quería a mi hermano y todavía pienso en él a menudo 47 años después de su muerte.

No comments:

Post a Comment