Yes, tonight I’m tired. Not tired of taking care of Joan—never that. I am tired of life itself. Looking back over the years, it feels as though I’ve witnessed nothing but turmoil and suffering. Wars that seemed endless—Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan—each one claiming lives, tearing apart families, and leaving scars that never truly heal. And through it all, I've watched as crooked and corrupt political leaders have only been concerned with securing their own power, holding onto their positions, and caring little for the people they were meant to serve. Amidst all of this, there’s been the ever-present presence of hate, racism, and the constant fight just to survive. What kind of life is that? What kind of world is this, where peace and unity seem so far out of reach?
Still, I’ve had moments of joy in my life. There have been times of happiness and fulfillment—playing guitar, holding my son in my arms, meeting Joan, building my own house with my own hands, and marrying Joan. These memories have been the bright spots in what has often been a dark world. But now, each week, I feel like I lose a little more of her. Her light dims just a bit more each day, and it’s hard to bear. The woman I’ve loved for so long is slipping away, and all I can do is watch. It’s a pain that never quite goes away, and I only wish I could live as long as she does, to hold on just a little longer.
I’ve always considered myself an optimist. I’ve always tried to find the silver lining, the hope in any situation. But lately, when I look at the country of my birth, I see it unraveling before my eyes. It’s being torn apart by division, greed, and ignorance, and it feels like we’re all helpless in the face of it. I want to believe that there’s still light ahead, still hope to cling to. But tonight, it’s hard to see that light at all. Tonight, it feels like it’s gone, swallowed up by the darkness.
Tak, dzi艣 wieczorem jestem zm臋czony. Nie zm臋czony opiek膮 nad Joan - nigdy. Jestem zm臋czony samym 偶yciem. Patrz膮c wstecz na te lata, mam wra偶enie, 偶e by艂em 艣wiadkiem tylko zamieszania i cierpienia. Wojny, kt贸re wydawa艂y si臋 nie mie膰 ko艅ca - Korea, Wietnam, Irak, Afganistan - ka偶da z nich poch艂ania艂a 偶ycie, rozdziera艂a rodziny i pozostawia艂a blizny, kt贸re nigdy si臋 nie zagoj膮. I przez to wszystko obserwowa艂em, jak nieuczciwi i skorumpowani przyw贸dcy polityczni byli zainteresowani jedynie zapewnieniem sobie w艂adzy, utrzymaniem swoich stanowisk i niewiele dbali o ludzi, kt贸rym mieli s艂u偶y膰. Po艣r贸d tego wszystkiego zawsze obecna by艂a nienawi艣膰, rasizm i ci膮g艂a walka o przetrwanie. Co to za 偶ycie? Co to za 艣wiat, w kt贸rym pok贸j i jedno艣膰 wydaj膮 si臋 tak daleko poza zasi臋giem?
Mimo to mia艂em w 偶yciu chwile rado艣ci. By艂y chwile szcz臋艣cia i spe艂nienia - gra na gitarze, trzymanie syna w ramionach, spotkanie z Joan, zbudowanie w艂asnego domu w艂asnymi r臋kami i po艣lubienie Joan. Te wspomnienia by艂y jasnymi punktami w cz臋sto mrocznym 艣wiecie. Ale teraz, ka偶dego tygodnia, czuj臋, 偶e trac臋 jej troch臋 wi臋cej. Jej 艣wiat艂o przygasa ka偶dego dnia i trudno to znie艣膰. Kobieta, kt贸r膮 kocha艂em od tak dawna, odchodzi, a ja mog臋 si臋 tylko temu przygl膮da膰. To b贸l, kt贸ry nigdy nie ust臋puje, a ja chcia艂bym 偶y膰 tak d艂ugo jak ona, by wytrzyma膰 jeszcze troch臋 d艂u偶ej.
Zawsze uwa偶a艂em si臋 za optymist臋. Zawsze stara艂em si臋 znale藕膰 pozytywny aspekt, nadziej臋 w ka偶dej sytuacji. Ale ostatnio, kiedy patrz臋 na kraj, w kt贸rym si臋 urodzi艂em, widz臋, jak rozpada si臋 na moich oczach. Jest rozdzierany przez podzia艂y, chciwo艣膰 i ignorancj臋, i wydaje si臋, 偶e wszyscy jeste艣my wobec tego bezradni. Chc臋 wierzy膰, 偶e przed nami wci膮偶 jest 艣wiat艂o, wci膮偶 nadzieja, kt贸rej mo偶emy si臋 trzyma膰. Ale dzisiejszej nocy trudno jest w og贸le dostrzec to 艣wiat艂o. Dzi艣 wydaje si臋, 偶e znikn臋艂o, poch艂oni臋te przez ciemno艣膰.
Przet艂umaczono z DeepL.com (wersja darmowa)