Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Homeless

It's the last day of September, and I can't believe it's 22°C. In all our years living here, it's never been this warm at the end of September. Usually, by now, we've had the heat turned on in our flat for at least two weeks. It's fine with me. The longer it takes to get our heat turned on, the less our heating bills are going to be. I don't want to be surprised next year by an extra 800 zlotys because we used too much electricity. 

This afternoon, on our way home from the center of town, we were driving down Dombrowskiego Street. It's a main street that leads to our apartment complex. There are several crossing areas for people to cross the street, all marked off with white horizontal lines so that you know to stop when anybody enters them. 

There was one man just starting to enter the crosswalk. He was walking very slowly, and when I looked closely at him, I noticed that he didn't have any shoes on his feet. He just had on socks, but the front of his feet was covered in black plastic garbage bags. I felt so bad that he was in such a sad condition. I looked for a place to pull over, but there was no open area. I thought I would get out of the car, walk over to him when he reached the other side of the street, and offer him the pair of sandals that I was wearing. It wouldn't be that hard for me to drive home without shoes on because our flat was not that far away. However, because I had no place to park my car, I wasn't able to do that. I even thought about making a U-turn illegally on the street and going back to look for another place to park close to where he was. It just saddened me so much to see an individual in that bad a condition. 

By the time we got back home, it was time to start putting dinner together for tonight. My choice from the menu that I had made out on Monday was to prepare a mushroom bolognese for dinner. I looked up the word bolognese in several dictionaries, but every one of them related it to the bolognese sauce. This recipe that I have has no sauce with it, so I don't know why it's called a bolognese or a mushroom bolognese. Anyway, I prepared it before, so I know it's a good dinner, and this is served on rice.