A few days ago, in Owińska near Poznań, someone hung anti-Ukrainian banners. The police were informed of the incident. Two men were arrested in the case.
Anti-Ukrainian banners in Owińska
On one of the banners there was a crossed-out flag of Ukraine and a vulgar inscription. Others referred to the actions of the UPA or the Volhynia massacre.
The mayor of Czerwonak – Marcin Wojtkowiak, in which anti-Ukrainian banners hung, condemned these proceedings.
STATEMENT OF THE WOJT OF THE COMMUNICITY OF CHERWONAK
It begins with offensive words. Then come acts of violence. I wanted to write a serious statement condemning anti-Ukrainian banners that were also hung in our municipality, but I don't know if it makes sense in this form.
Instead, I'll write something from the heart.
I believe we are good as a community. We are good people. We found out about this during the annual WOSP campaign, during the flood relief, while we organized during the pandemic. And also during how we were helping our Ukrainian neighbors when the war broke out. Myself, like many of you, have adopted a Ukrainian family under my roof.
And my attitude towards people who suffer during war has not changed. If someone doesn't look at it in a moral way, it's always a pragmatic way - it's our job to support Ukraine as much as we can, so that the war doesn't have to take place in our country. Let it be at least a cold calculation. This will do enough.
That's why I don't understand and strongly disagree with the urge we've been experiencing recently. With hate-filled banners, insulting Ukrainian children, with "social controls" of Ukrainian companies.
Let's stick together. Let's not give in to evil. First we are humans, then we are nations.