Saturday, June 15, 2024

Christmas present.

Occasionally, when I have a little free time, I go though an old box of records or documents just to remind myself all I have learned doing family research.

Last night was one such time. In among some documents I found something my brother Wally wrote to me attached to a Christmas present. It was Christmas Eve,  December 24th, 1973. The present was a hand made fishing rod for fly fishing. There has to be a preamble to this story.

My father was an avid fly fisherman. So much so that before my sister was born, that room was only used as a room where he had a table set up to make his own fly lures using a hook and different kinds of little feathers or metal objects. Because our parents were divorced shortly after I was born, we really didn't see him until our teenage years were happening. Perhaps my brother learned how to do it from someone else or on his own.

Anyway, he(my brother) loved fly fishing. When I was 13-14 he took me to Manistee, Michigan to fish his favorite river, the Little Manistee. It was the first time in my life that I experienced seeing water so clean, you could see the bottom of it. I asked him if the river was full of rust. Laughing, he told me it was the bottom of the river. I had an excellent adventure with him and I'm sure it influenced my love for nature.

I don't know how long it took for him to make that fishing rod, but just the idea he made it for me was a huge Christmas present in itself. I think of him all the time and miss him tremendously.

 Od czasu do czasu, gdy mam trochę wolnego czasu, przeglądam stare pudełko z zapisami lub dokumentami, aby przypomnieć sobie wszystko, czego nauczyłem się podczas badań rodzinnych.

Wczorajszy wieczór był jednym z takich momentów. Wśród dokumentów znalazłem coś, co mój brat Wally napisał do mnie w prezencie świątecznym. Była Wigilia, 24 grudnia 1973 roku. Prezentem była ręcznie wykonana wędka do łowienia na muchę. Ta historia wymaga wstępu.

Mój ojciec był zapalonym wędkarzem muchowym. Do tego stopnia, że zanim urodziła się moja siostra, ten pokój był używany tylko jako pokój, w którym miał stół ustawiony do robienia własnych przynęt muchowych przy użyciu haczyka i różnego rodzaju małych piór lub metalowych przedmiotów. Ponieważ nasi rodzice rozwiedli się wkrótce po moich narodzinach, tak naprawdę nie widzieliśmy go aż do naszych nastoletnich lat. Być może mój brat nauczył się tego od kogoś innego lub sam.

W każdym razie on (mój brat) uwielbiał wędkarstwo muchowe. Kiedy miałem 13-14 lat, zabrał mnie do Manistee w stanie Michigan na swoją ulubioną rzekę, Little Manistee. To był pierwszy raz w moim życiu, kiedy zobaczyłem wodę tak czystą, że można było zobaczyć jej dno. Zapytałem go, czy rzeka jest pełna rdzy. Śmiejąc się, powiedział mi, że to dno rzeki. Przeżyłem z nim wspaniałą przygodę i jestem pewien, że wpłynęło to na moją miłość do natury.

Nie wiem, ile czasu zajęło mu zrobienie tej wędki, ale sam pomysł, że zrobił ją dla mnie, był wielkim prezentem świątecznym. Cały czas o nim myślę i bardzo za nim tęsknię.

No comments: