Saturday, February 15, 2020

Day 6

No ranting today. I don't have a large enough rant in me to eclipse the size of the mountain I'm climbing at the moment.  It obscures everything in my mind. I have even had a couple of dreams about it. Dreams? Not nightmares but not the kind of dreams you want to remember. Definitely not the kind I would write about IF I remembered them.

My morning, afternoon and evening visit with Joan and she was the same as yesterday except for today. She tried, unsuccessfully, to get out of bed. She is not strong enough to stand on her own but she doesn't think about that. She's eating about half of what they bring for meals. So far it's been soft foods and soups. Her eyes had some straight-ahead vision moments so that was good but they still look to the right when she wakes up.

I know there should be more to say about Joan and, believe me, I could write pages about how I feel about this situation. There IS such a thing as a good rant so I could, "good rant",  about 5 extraordinary people.

Joan and I meet with a group of people in a language club on Friday nights. Most of the them are on WhatsApp as a group. When I put a notice to the group what had happened to Joan. Cari, from the group, called to offer immediate help. Living in Cartegna, she met me at the hospital and talked the ambulance driver into taking me to the next Hospital they were taking Joan to. She's talked to me every day and when Joan was transferred to Los Arco without me knowing, I followed them to the new hospital.  They also helped to search for the rental car.

Carmelo and Christina we have known since our first time here. He was the one who called the ambulance for me. After a visit to the Arrixaca, the 4 of us went to the cafe across the bridge from the hospital, where they bought me lunch. Once we decided I would need a car to drive to Murcia every day, they spent an hour on their cell phones checking prices from different car rental agencies until Cari and Juanjo, her husband, arrived and the cheapest one was finally found.

From Poland, Marcin, a man, and his family that I have known for about ten years called my neighbor for me to tell her what had happened and to check if our flat was still ok. He then wrote to me and said IF I ran into any financial difficulties here to let him know immediately.

These are FRIENDS---not family. THEY are worthy of a good rant!

Dzisiaj nie ma rantingu. Nie mam wystarczająco dużego zdania, by zaćmić rozmiar góry, na którą obecnie wspinam się. Ukrywa wszystko w moim umyśle. Miałem nawet o tym kilka snów. Marzenia? Nie koszmary, ale nie takie sny, które chcesz zapamiętać. Zdecydowanie nie taki, o którym bym pisał, gdyby je zapamiętałem.

Moja poranna, popołudniowa i wieczorna wizyta u Joan była taka sama jak wczoraj, z wyjątkiem dzisiejszego dnia. Bezskutecznie próbowała wstać z łóżka. Nie jest wystarczająco silna, aby wytrzymać sama, ale nie myśli o tym. Ona je około połowy tego, co przynoszą na posiłki. Do tej pory było to miękkie jedzenie i zupy. Jej oczy miały momenty bezpośredniego widzenia, więc to było dobre, ale wciąż patrzą w prawo, kiedy się budzi.

Wiem, że powinna być więcej do powiedzenia na temat Joan i, uwierzcie mi, mogłabym pisać strony o tym, co sądzę o tej sytuacji. Jest coś takiego jak dobry rant, więc mógłbym, „dobry rant”, około 5 niezwykłych ludzi.

Joan i ja spotykamy się z grupą ludzi w klubie językowym w piątkowe wieczory. Większość z nich jest na WhatsApp jako grupa. Kiedy zawiadomiłem grupę, co stało się z Joan. Cari z grupy wezwała do udzielenia natychmiastowej pomocy. Mieszkając w Cartegna, poznała mnie w szpitalu i namówiła kierowcę karetki, aby zabrał mnie do następnego szpitala, do którego zabierali Joan. Rozmawiała ze mną codziennie, a kiedy Joan została przeniesiona do Los Arco bez mojej wiedzy, poszedłem za nimi do nowego szpitala. Pomagali również w wyszukiwaniu wynajętego samochodu.

Carmelo i Christina, które znamy od naszego pierwszego pobytu tutaj. To on wezwał dla mnie karetkę. Po wizycie w Arrixaca czwórka z nas poszła do kawiarni po drugiej stronie mostu od szpitala, gdzie kupili mi lunch. Kiedy zdecydowaliśmy, że będę potrzebował samochodu, aby codziennie jechać do Murcji, spędzili godzinę na telefonach komórkowych sprawdzając ceny w różnych wypożyczalniach samochodów, aż Cari i Juanjo, jej mąż, przybyli i ostatecznie znaleziono najtańszą.

Z Polski Marcin, mężczyzna i jego rodzina, których znam od około dziesięciu lat, zadzwonili do mojego sąsiada, aby powiedzieć jej, co się stało, i sprawdzić, czy nasze mieszkanie jest nadal w porządku. Potem napisał do mnie i powiedział, JEŻELI napotkałem tutaj jakiekolwiek trudności finansowe, aby natychmiast go poinformować.

To PRZYJACIELE --- nie rodzina. ONI są godni dobrego wyrażenia!


5 comments:

  1. You are very fortunate to have such good friends. They really ARE your family in Spain and Poland. Everything seems overwhelming at the moment. The language barrier does not help. How is Joan doing in a Spanish hospital? Are there any English speakers? You must remember to take care of yourself - and I'm sure I'm not the only one to advise this. You will have to be healthy to be Joan's caregiver when she is released. My very best wishes to both of you. Shaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im alway saying that a good friend is worth more than gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not surprising you have such good and true friends in Poland. Its a further testimony to you and Joan that you have made real friends that help unhesitatingly in your time of need. I'm glad they are there to help you and for you to take some comfort in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Dave S.

    ReplyDelete