Sunday, January 05, 2020

Great surprise.

A nice surprise last night when we received a Skype call from cousin Robert Babic. He is the oldest son of my generational cousin Leon. We have been in contact through FB for a while and finally made the Skype connection. He lives in Minnesota so we have to be aware of the 7 hour difference in our time zones. We talked to each other for about an hour but it won't be our only time we do it. It was great talking and seeing him again after a long time. His father and I had "kindred spirits" and it was a tragedy when his father passed away some time ago. The last time I saw Robert was in the year 2000 when his grandmother, my aunt, passed away. So, it was especially thrilling for me to reconnect with him yesterday. I'm confident Skype will keep us in touch now.

This picture was taken when I was 19 years old and stationed with the U.S. Navy in Rota, Spain where I worked as a DJ for Armed Forces Radio. It was quite a life for a 19-year old coming from the projects of Hammond Indiana.

The radio station was located on an isolated section of the military base, right at the edge of a bay that led to the Mediterranean Sea. It was like we had our own private beach. There were 5 of enlisted men working there, overseen by a psychologically unfit and usually drunk Warrant Officer the first year.

My job was playing current pop music sent to us from the U.S from 16:00-18:00 and then at 19:00-24:00 I played jazz. The jazz show was very popular. I put a lot of work researching the artists I played and told their stories before I played their music. I received several letters of appreciation from fans of the show.

The radio station, itself, was a 3-story building with the top floor looking like an air control tower of a plane runway with slanted windows. From it, you had a nice view of the whole area. We only used the first floor with the control room, an interview room, and a record library. I was in charge of the record library. It was a mess when I took control of it. You couldn't find anything easily. After months of diligent work, I had everything categorized by artist, alum and song title. Planning a music show was much easier than before.

"Our" beach was fantastic! Private, quiet, a 1-minute walk and you were there. Any time you weren't scheduled to work it was available to us. I spent many days there and when I finally returned to the U.S. after 2 years, my mother thought I was a Mexican because my skin was so dark. That was when my love of Spain began after I left it. When I first met Joan I told her someday I would return there. Now we have been back 6 times.

Miłą niespodziankę zeszłej nocy, kiedy otrzymaliśmy rozmowę Skype od kuzyna Roberta Babica. Jest najstarszym synem mojego pokoleniowego kuzyna Leona. Przez jakiś czas kontaktowaliśmy się przez FB i wreszcie nawiązaliśmy połączenie Skype. Mieszka w Minnesocie, więc musimy zdawać sobie sprawę z 7-godzinnej różnicy w naszych strefach czasowych. Rozmawialiśmy ze sobą przez około godzinę, ale to nie będzie nasz jedyny raz, kiedy to zrobimy. Wspaniale było rozmawiać i widzieć go ponownie po długim czasie. Jego ojciec i ja mieliśmy „pokrewnych duchów” i to była tragedia, gdy jego ojciec zmarł jakiś czas temu. Ostatni raz widziałem Roberta w 2000 roku, kiedy jego babka, moja ciocia, zmarła. Szczególnie ekscytujące było dla mnie wczorajsze nawiązanie z nim kontaktu. Jestem pewien, że Skype utrzyma nas teraz w kontakcie.

To zdjęcie zostało zrobione, gdy miałem 19 lat i stacjonowałem w amerykańskiej marynarce wojennej w Rota w Hiszpanii, gdzie pracowałem jako DJ dla Radia Sił Zbrojnych. To było całkiem życie dla 19-latka pochodzącego z projektów Hammond Indiana.

Stacja radiowa znajdowała się w odizolowanej części bazy wojskowej, na skraju zatoki prowadzącej do Morza Śródziemnego. To było tak, jakbyśmy mieli własną prywatną plażę. Pracowało tam 5 żołnierzy, nadzorowanych przez psychicznie niezdolnego i zwykle pijanego funkcjonariusza policji w pierwszym roku.

Moja praca polegała na graniu bieżącej muzyki pop wysłanej do nas z USA w godzinach 16: 00–18: 00, a następnie w godzinach 19: 00–24: 00 grałem jazz. Koncert jazzowy był bardzo popularny. Włożyłem dużo pracy w badanie artystów, w których grałem, i opowiadałem ich historie, zanim zagrałem ich muzykę. Otrzymałem kilka listów uznania od fanów serialu.

Sama stacja radiowa była trzypiętrowym budynkiem, a najwyższe piętro wyglądało jak wieża kontroli powietrznej pasa startowego z pochyłymi oknami. Z tego miałeś ładny widok na całą okolicę. Korzystaliśmy tylko z pierwszego piętra z pokojem kontrolnym, pokojem przesłuchań i biblioteką nagrań. Byłem odpowiedzialny za bibliotekę płyt. To był bałagan, kiedy przejąłem nad nim kontrolę. Nic nie można było łatwo znaleźć. Po miesiącach starannej pracy miałem wszystko skategoryzowane według artysty, ałunu i tytułu piosenki. Planowanie pokazu muzycznego było znacznie łatwiejsze niż wcześniej.

„Nasza” plaża była fantastyczna! Prywatny, cichy, 1 minutę spacerem i już tam byłeś. Kiedykolwiek nie byłeś zaplanowany do pracy, było to dla nas dostępne. Spędziłem tam wiele dni i kiedy po 2 latach wróciłem do USA, moja mama myślała, że ​​jestem Meksykanką, ponieważ moja skóra była tak ciemna. To wtedy moja miłość do Hiszpanii zaczęła się po tym, jak ją opuściłem. Kiedy pierwszy raz spotkałem Joan, powiedziałem jej, że kiedyś tam wrócę. Teraz wróciliśmy 6 razy.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, David, you handsome devil :) Joan is a lucky woman!

    I admire your work ethic, even at that young age. From what I gleaned from reading your blog is that you go by the principle of "anything worth doing, is worth doing right".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isa..Yes, I acquired it from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do the pictures you mention (that appear in the blog heading) reside after they are replaced by newer ones?

    It's a shame that the pictures that are added for a particular blog don't stay connected to that blog... but are automatically replaced with the latest picture.

    I often don't get to read the blog posts on the day they are written and it can be a bit surreal to have something mentioned (like your photo in Rota) and see, instead the latest photo (from 1/24) of Joan at dinner.

    Thanks!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucie, I have a collection of over 40,000 pictures now. They reside in my own archives. I change the daily picture to relate to the article of the day. Unfortunately, older blogs only show the current picture. I don't have control of that.

    ReplyDelete