Friday, January 19, 2024

Joni !

I spent most of my evening free time listening to the words of Joni Mitchell. They have been with me for the last 59 years, ever since 1968. It was a much different time back then. I lived in Washington D.C., just up the street from the White House. Recently married to my first wife, we had a very small apartment in the Belvedere building across the street from Humbolt Park. Martin Luther King was murdered in April followed by the murder of Robert Kennedy in June. I still believe that those murders as well as President Kennedy and Malcolm X were political assassinations helped by the government.

It was a depressing beginning for the year. The majority of Americans and the World felt the loss of those two great leaders and the future didn't look so bright.  Joni Mitchell changed that for me.

I was working at a record store in D.C. when a promoter from Warner Brothers came in to give us free albums and tickets to a new performer, Joni Mitchell. I had never heard of her before so I listened to her album, and the lyrics and got excited about her. He also gave us two front-row tickets to her performance at the Cellar Door the next night. The Door was a small club so I knew it would be a good chance to hear her live. I was already a fan after hearing the album but wasn't prepared for the beautiful person who walked on stage with her guitar. It wasn't just her physical appearance that made her so attractive but the person that she had inside and was willing to share with me and everyone else. I was 24 years old at that time and now, at age 79 I'm still in love with her and her music. I left America 16 years ago and moved to Poland and the first thing I packed were all of her albums to take with me. She has been a big influence on my life and I thank her for all that she is.

Sp臋dzi艂em wi臋kszo艣膰 mojego wolnego wieczoru s艂uchaj膮c s艂贸w Joni Mitchell. S膮 ze mn膮 od 59 lat, od 1968 roku. Wtedy by艂o zupe艂nie inaczej. Mieszka艂em w Waszyngtonie, tu偶 obok Bia艂ego Domu. Niedawno o偶eni艂em si臋 z moj膮 pierwsz膮 偶on膮, mieli艣my bardzo ma艂e mieszkanie w budynku Belvedere po drugiej stronie ulicy od Humbolt Park. W kwietniu zamordowano Martina Luthera Kinga, a w czerwcu Roberta Kennedy'ego. Nadal uwa偶am, 偶e te morderstwa, podobnie jak zab贸jstwa prezydenta Kennedy'ego i Malcolma X, by艂y zab贸jstwami politycznymi, w kt贸rych pomaga艂 rz膮d.

Pocz膮tek roku by艂 przygn臋biaj膮cy. Wi臋kszo艣膰 Amerykan贸w i ca艂ego 艣wiata odczu艂a strat臋 tych dw贸ch wielkich przyw贸dc贸w, a przysz艂o艣膰 nie wygl膮da艂a 艣wietlano.  Joni Mitchell zmieni艂a moje nastawienie.

Pracowa艂em w sklepie z p艂ytami w Waszyngtonie, kiedy przyszed艂 promotor z Warner Brothers, aby da膰 nam darmowe albumy i bilety na nowego wykonawc臋, Joni Mitchell. Nigdy wcze艣niej o niej nie s艂ysza艂em, wi臋c pos艂ucha艂em jej albumu i tekst贸w i by艂em ni膮 podekscytowany. Da艂 nam r贸wnie偶 dwa bilety w pierwszym rz臋dzie na jej wyst臋p w Cellar Door nast臋pnego wieczoru. The Door by艂 ma艂ym klubem, wi臋c wiedzia艂em, 偶e b臋dzie to dobra okazja, by us艂ysze膰 j膮 na 偶ywo. By艂em ju偶 jej fanem po przes艂uchaniu albumu, ale nie by艂em przygotowany na pi臋kn膮 osob臋 z gitar膮, kt贸ra wesz艂a na scen臋. To nie tylko jej wygl膮d fizyczny sprawia艂, 偶e by艂a tak atrakcyjna, ale tak偶e osoba, kt贸ra tworzy艂a. To nie tylko jej wygl膮d fizyczny sprawia艂, 偶e by艂a tak atrakcyjna, ale osoba, kt贸r膮 mia艂a w 艣rodku i kt贸r膮 chcia艂a si臋 podzieli膰 ze mn膮 i wszystkimi innymi. Mia艂em wtedy 24 lata, a teraz, w wieku 79 lat, wci膮偶 jestem zakochany w niej i jej muzyce. Opu艣ci艂em Ameryk臋 16 lat temu i przeprowadzi艂em si臋 do Polski, a pierwsz膮 rzecz膮, kt贸r膮 spakowa艂em, by艂y wszystkie jej albumy, kt贸re zabra艂em ze sob膮. Mia艂a wielki wp艂yw na moje 偶ycie i dzi臋kuj臋 jej za wszystko, kim i czym by艂a.