Sunday, January 06, 2019

Joan3

I have mixed feelings about posting this. It's personal but I've already shared so many of my personal thoughts with you already over the last 11 years. Some will say it should only be kept in the "family" but I've learned there can be more to the meaning of family than just "family".  So, here it is.........

Professor Zeglar, from the Nuero Dept. at the hospital spoke with me and confirmed my second fear. All of Joan's symptoms indicate that she has dementia. It's a progressive disease. They still want to do a psychological test to determine which type of dementia she has. The problem is the psychologist only has the tests in Polish and French and speaks only those languages. How they will resolve this I don't know. We meet again tomorrow morning at the hospital.

I talked with the Dr. about our trip and he said it could be a problem should Joan require medical attention or a hospital. I know, on the other hand, there is a new hospital in San Javier, 10 minutes from where we will be, with complete services including a neurology department. It is only 4 years old. Besides that, the plus sides for going are Joan would be going to a familiar environment, the flat. She already knows people and the town, the weather would be more conducive to daily walks in sunshine than in Poland and cancelling the trip on top of the already bad news would be even more devastating. He said the thing to do was see how she is doing at home between now and our departure date. That is my plan.


Mam mieszane uczucia co do opublikowania tego. To dotyczy osobistej sprawy, ale w ciągu ostatnich 11 lat dzieliłem się już wieloma osobistymi przemyśleniami. Niektórzy powiedzą, że takie tematy powinny pozostać w „rodzinie”, ale nauczyłem się, że słowo „rodzina” może mieć wiele znaczeń. A więc .........

Profesor Zeglar, w oddziału neurologicznego w szpitalu rozmawiał ze mną i potwierdził drugą z rzeczy, której się bałem. Wszystkie objawy wskazują, że Joan ma demencję. Jest to choroba postępująca. Chcą jeszcze zrobić test psychologiczny, aby określić, jaki to rodzaj demencji. Problemem jest to, że psycholog ma tylko testy w języku polskim i francuskim, i mówi tylko tymi językami. Jak rozwiążą ten problem, nie wiem. Mamy się spotkać z nimi jutro rano w szpitalu.

Rozmawiałam z doktorem o naszej podróży i powiedział, że może być problem, gdy Joan będzie wymagała pomocy lekarskiej lub trafi do szpitala. Z drugiej strony wiem, że w San Javier, 10 minut od miejsca, gdzie będziemy, jest nowy szpital, który ma oddział neurologii. Został oddany do użytku 4 lata temu. Poza tym, do plusów wyjazdu należy, że Joan byłaby w środowisku, które zna. Zna ludzi i miasto, pogoda w Hiszpanii będzie bardziej sprzyjała codziennym spacerom w słońcu niż w Polsce. Rezygnacja z podróży przy tych wszystkich złych wiadomościach byłaby jeszcze bardziej druzgocąca. Powiedział, że trzeba zobaczyć, jak Joan będzie sobie radziła w domu od teraz do naszego wyjazdu. Taki jest mój plan.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Linda from Texas
    Sorry to hear about this current situation with Joan. My mother-in-law had dementia with Parkinson’s and it was tough to see her go through it. I thought maybe Joan just had a mini stroke from some of the symptoms. Do you think they can use translator for her testing?

    Sending you thoughts and prayers for comfort, peace and strength.

    P.S. my father-in-law took good care of my MIL for many years before it became harder for him and she needed professional help. They also went on several trips in the beginning stages and she did well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as Joan is familiar with the place in Spain and the San Javier hospital is nearby (they have free translation department there, if they do not all speak English already!) you should consider going forward with your trip. Sunshine and warm weather is such a boost to your body and soul (I am speaking from experience). Plus, I know this trip will make YOU happy which is just as important - you need all the sustenance while caring for a loved one.

    Best to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:47 AM

    Sorry to hear this and agree with Isa...and, your own line of thinking; to plan on going ahead with your travel plans; the stimulation will do you both good-- again, as Isa suggested.


    We're rooting for you both!

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God to read that she has none of those serious issues. Here's to a speedy recovery and return home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave S, I think you didn't understand...……. it IS a serious issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that. I remembered last time she was ill... it was probably the start of this disease. What is the problem with translating the report through the professional appointed translator?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is only a non-professional translator and some meaning might be lost in translation, something important. Through contacts I have, I found a psychologist who know the test in English. The one from the hospital is just a basic test telling me little has changed since the stroke but I think differently. This newer person can administer a more defining test.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tori, this is only a non-professional translator and some meaning might be lost in translation, something important. Through contacts I have, I found a psychologist who know the test in English. The one from the hospital is just a basic test telling me little has changed since the stroke but I think differently. This newer person can administer a more defining test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for the inadvertent mis-timing of my well-intended post (my earlier reply was to the prior day's post wherein you were happy to hear some good news...I hadn't yet read the following day where you learned it may be the beginning of dementia.) I'm so sorry to hear that diagnosis and am praying for you both.



    ReplyDelete