Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The phone.

 Last night I tried calling Joan but there was no answer. I tried 3 times, and then called the nursing station on the 8th floor where Joan is. A nurse picked up but did not speak English. Fortunately. the attending doctor was nearby who did. He told me Joan had a tomography and there was no bleeding in her brain. That was a great relief for me. He also said she would have an EKG today along with a test for epilepsy. Either today or tomorrow she will have an MRI. I told him I tried to call her and there was no answer. He said Joan told the nurse there was no cell phone in the bag of things I took to the hospital but he heard her phone ringing. He said he would go and look in the bag and to call back in ten minutes.

I called again and she answered. Her voice was strong and she was in good spirits. She is in a ward with 8 other patients and said it was noisy. I told her to look in the bag again because I packed a set of earplugs, knowing it would be noisy there. When our old neurologist used to work there she was put in a semi-private room. Now he works in a different city and our current neurologist does not work in hospitals so there is no influence. We have to accept the hospital's neurologist. 

I felt better after talking with her because she is at least able to speak to the doctor in English so her spirits are high. 

As for me, I am a nervous wreck. I saw our neurologist last night about the increase in my tremors due to stress. He is a very well educated doctor in this field and told me all of the possibilities to help. One way its to add an additional medication for epilepsy that has elements that work for tremors also. The most extreme other way is to bore a hole in my brain with a laser to kill the nerve endings. EGADS, I wouldn't consider that. So I have another medication to try, Gabaprentin Teva. 

With Joan in the hospital, Radek and I decided to meet today in our flat. I'm OK with that. I need someone to talk with and we are very compatible. It will get my mind off of thinking about Joan for 2 hours. Not that I want to stop thinking about Joan, I don't, but I just need a little break.

After our meeting, I got a call from the hospital that they wanted me to bring all of Joan's medicines. I packed them into a bag and put a carton of cherry yogurt in it. The "meals" they serve are far from nutritious. I called Joan and told her to look for it in the bag. She was happy about that. I told her to look at the bright side, she won't gain any weight in the hospital. :-) Karen called and spoke to her twice today.

Ostatniej nocy próbowałem zadzwonić do Joan, ale nie było odpowiedzi. Próbowałem 3 razy, a potem zadzwoniłem do szpitala na 8. piętrze, gdzie przebywa Joan. Odebrała pielęgniarka, ale nie mówiła po angielsku. Na szczęście. lekarz prowadzący był w pobliżu, który to zrobił. Powiedział mi, że Joan miała tomografię i nie ma krwawienia w mózgu. To była dla mnie wielka ulga. Powiedział również, że będzie miała dzisiaj EKG wraz z testem na epilepsję. Albo dzisiaj, albo jutro będzie miała MRI. Powiedziałem mu, że próbowałem do niej zadzwonić i nie było odpowiedzi. Powiedział, że Joan powiedziała pielęgniarce, że w torbie z rzeczami, które zabrałem do szpitala, nie ma telefonu komórkowego, ale usłyszał jej dzwonek. Powiedział, że pójdzie, zajrzy do torby i oddzwoni za dziesięć minut.

Zadzwoniłem ponownie, a ona odebrała. Jej głos był mocny i była w dobrym nastroju. Jest na oddziale z 8 innymi pacjentami i powiedziała, że ​​było głośno. Powiedziałem jej, żeby ponownie zajrzała do torby, bo spakowałem zatyczki do uszu, wiedząc, że będzie tam głośno. Kiedy nasz stary neurolog tam pracował, umieszczono ją w półprywatnym pokoju. Teraz pracuje w innym mieście, a nasz obecny neurolog nie pracuje w szpitalach, więc nie ma na to wpływu. Musimy przyjąć neurologa szpitalnego.

Poczułem się lepiej po rozmowie z nią, ponieważ przynajmniej potrafi rozmawiać z lekarzem po angielsku, więc ma dobry humor.

Jak dla mnie, jestem nerwowym wrakiem. Widziałem wczoraj wieczorem naszego neurologa o wzroście moich drżeń z powodu stresu. Jest bardzo dobrze wykształconym lekarzem w tej dziedzinie i powiedział mi o wszystkich możliwościach pomocy. Jednym ze sposobów jest dodanie dodatkowego leku na epilepsję, który zawiera elementy, które działają również na drżenie. Najbardziej ekstremalnym innym sposobem jest wywiercenie dziury w moim mózgu za pomocą lasera, aby zabić zakończenia nerwowe. EGADS, nie rozważałbym tego. Więc mam inny lek do wypróbowania, Gabaprentin Teva.

Z Joan w szpitalu postanowiliśmy z Radkiem spotkać się dziś w naszym mieszkaniu. Nie przeszkadza mi to. Potrzebuję kogoś do rozmowy i jesteśmy bardzo kompatybilni. Nie myślę o Joanie przez 2 godziny. Nie chodzi o to, że chcę przestać myśleć o Joan, nie chcę, ale potrzebuję tylko małej przerwy.

Po naszym spotkaniu dostałem telefon ze szpitala, że ​​chcą, żebym przyniosła wszystkie lekarstwa Joan. Zapakowałam je do woreczka i włożyłam do niego karton wiśniowego jogurtu. Podawane przez nich „posiłki” są dalekie od wartości odżywczych. Zadzwoniłem do Joan i powiedziałem jej, żeby poszukała go w torbie. Cieszyła się z tego. Powiedziałem jej, żeby spojrzała na dobrą stronę, w szpitalu nie przybędzie na wadze. :-) Karen dzwoniła i rozmawiała z nią dzisiaj dwukrotnie.

Anoche intenté llamar a Joan pero no obtuve respuesta. Lo intenté 3 veces y luego llamé a la estación de enfermería en el octavo piso donde está Joan. Una enfermera atendió pero no hablaba inglés. Por suerte. el médico tratante estaba cerca y lo hizo. Me dijo que Joan tenía una tomografía y no había sangrado en su cerebro. Eso fue un gran alivio para mí. También dijo que hoy se haría un electrocardiograma junto con una prueba de epilepsia. O hoy o mañana le harán una resonancia magnética. Le dije que traté de llamarla y no hubo respuesta. Dijo que Joan le dijo a la enfermera que no había teléfono celular en la bolsa de cosas que llevé al hospital, pero escuchó su teléfono sonar. Dijo que iría a buscar en la bolsa y que volvería a llamar en diez minutos.

Llamé de nuevo y ella respondió. Su voz era fuerte y estaba de buen humor. Ella está en una sala con otros 8 pacientes y dijo que había mucho ruido. Le dije que volviera a mirar en la bolsa porque empaqué un par de tapones para los oídos, sabiendo que habría mucho ruido allí. Cuando nuestra vieja neuróloga solía trabajar allí, la pusieron en una habitación semiprivada. Ahora trabaja en otra ciudad y nuestro neurólogo actual no trabaja en hospitales por lo que no hay influencia. Tenemos que aceptar al neurólogo del hospital.

Me sentí mejor después de hablar con ella porque al menos puede hablar con el médico en inglés, por lo que está muy animada.

En cuanto a mí, soy un manojo de nervios. Anoche vi a nuestro neurólogo sobre el aumento de mis temblores debido al estrés. Es un médico muy bien educado en este campo y me dijo todas las posibilidades para ayudar. Una forma es agregar un medicamento adicional para la epilepsia que tenga elementos que también funcionen para los temblores. La otra forma más extrema es hacer un agujero en mi cerebro con un láser para matar las terminaciones nerviosas. EGADS, no consideraría eso. Entonces tengo otro medicamento para probar, Gabaprentin Teva.

Con Joan en el hospital, Radek y yo decidimos encontrarnos hoy en nuestro piso. Estoy bien con eso. Necesito a alguien con quien hablar y somos muy compatibles. Me dejará de pensar en Joan durante 2 horas. No es que quiera dejar de pensar en Joan, no lo hago, pero solo necesito un pequeño descanso.

Después de nuestra reunión, recibí una llamada del hospital que querían que trajera todos los medicamentos de Joan. Los metí en una bolsa y puse una caja de yogur de cereza. Las "comidas" que sirven están lejos de ser nutritivas. Llamé a Joan y le dije que lo buscara en la bolsa. Ella estaba feliz por eso. Le dije que mirara el lado positivo, no aumentará de peso en el hospital. :-) Karen llamó y habló con ella dos veces hoy.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't checked your site for three days. I was shocked to hear Joan was in the hospital. I'm sorry and sad to hear that bad news. I'm happy it wasn't more serious than it was. Hopefully once they get her stabilized on medication the seizures will be less of a problem.
    Like you, I have a tremor also. Mine is an essential tremor of the head.
    Kind of like the bobble head figure. :)
    The work of a caretaker is hard enough without adding extra worry for you.
    Take care of yourself so you don't fall ill. Please don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself. It is a must, in order for you to remain strong. Prayers for you and Joan.
    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Helene,

    I know the bobblehead well. My B.E.T also affects the hands, more so now than before. I'm hoping the additional med.helps. What do you take for yours and how long have you had it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had it for about 25 yrs. I take 80mg of Propranolol twice a day.
    For a while I took it 3 times a day, but I got too many dizzy spells.
    This has been VERY gradually increased over the years. I started with 10mg. I doesn't take it away completely but it not as violent. I think it bothers other people more than it does me. Ohio State University has done clinical studies using Focused Ultra Sound which to me is a lot safer than Deep Brain Stimulation. However they don't do it for head tremors. You would qualify. The person I contacted there was Jennifer Herrick 614-685-4447. That was a couple of years ago so, I don't know if she is still there. Here is another #614-366-6639. If those #'s don't work you can probably just call the main number and ask for the Ultra Sound department and they can direct you.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had it for 35 years. I take 50mg of Propranolol 3 times a day plus 225mg of Mizoden. 160mg is the limit and I'm almost there with Propranolol. You're right about it bothering other people. Thanks for the info about UltraSound
    but I would have it done here. First, I will see if the Gabaprentin has any effect on it. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If 160 MG is the limit, its no wonder I was having dizzy spells, when I took the 80 MG three times a day. It did work better but I don't think falling down is good for my old bones. One medication made me so confused I didn't know if I was suppose to stop or go on the green light. Quit that one immediately.
    I have tried so many different meds that I can't remember the names anymore. My neurologist released me a couple of years ago. My primary doctor does the refills for me now.
    Yes, you should see if someone is doing the ultra sound there in Poland.
    However, if you also have a head tremor they probably won't do it.

    ReplyDelete