Sunday, March 01, 2020

Day 21

Today Joan's fever is gone and she was wide awake when I got there. The nurses came after an hour, changed her bedding and put her in the chair. I worked with her at 5 different times, just getting her to bend forward and sideways the way I saw the therapist do it. I know Sunday is the day of rest but she's been resting for 3 weeks in that bed.

I made a game out of it. I put her hands on my shoulders and asked her if she would lean forward and kiss me. She did it a couple of times and then I told her I needed a hug to get her to bend more at the hips. After each little session, we rested for a bit.

I read about strokes affecting dementia and it might be the cause of the drastic change to her mind. It mentioned vascular dementia and that is what Joan has. I will ask the neurologist about it tomorrow.

The one good thing I noticed that for the first 3 hours her hand didn't have the tremors. They came back about 14:00 but not with the same intensity. That is what I am holding on to for today... I need something good to hold me together. I suspect tomorrow they will tell me that they are sending her home Tuesday.

Hoy la fiebre de Joan ha desaparecido y estaba completamente despierta cuando llegué allí. Las enfermeras llegaron después de una hora, le cambiaron la ropa de cama y la pusieron en la silla. Trabajé en 5 momentos diferentes, solo haciendo que se inclinara hacia adelante y hacia los lados de la forma en que vi al terapeuta hacerlo. Sé que el domingo es el día de descanso, pero ella ha estado descansando durante 3 semanas en esa cama.

Hice un juego con eso. Puse sus manos sobre mis hombros y le pregunté si se inclinaría hacia adelante y me besaría. Lo hizo un par de veces y luego le dije que necesitaba un abrazo para que se doblara más en las caderas. Después de cada pequeña sesión, descansamos un poco.

Leí sobre los accidentes cerebrovasculares que afectan la demencia y podría ser la causa del cambio drástico en su mente. Mencionó la demencia vascular y eso es lo que tiene Joan. Mañana le preguntaré al neurólogo.

Lo único bueno que noté fue que durante las primeras 3 horas su mano no tuvo los temblores. Regresaron alrededor de la 14:00 pero no con la misma intensidad. Eso es a lo que me aferro por hoy ... Necesito algo bueno para mantenerme unida. Sospecho que mañana me dirán que la enviarán a casa el martes.

Dzisiaj gorączka Joan zniknęła, a kiedy tam dotarłem, nie spała. Pielęgniarki przyszły po godzinie, zmieniły pościel i posadziły ją na krześle. Pracowałem z 5 różnymi czasami, po prostu zmuszając ją, by pochyliła się do przodu i na boki, tak jak widziałam, jak robi to terapeuta. Wiem, że niedziela jest dniem odpoczynku, ale ona odpoczywała przez 3 tygodnie w tym łóżku.

Zrobiłem z tego grę. Położyłem jej ręce na ramionach i zapytałem, czy pochyli się i pocałuje mnie. Zrobiła to kilka razy, a potem powiedziałem jej, że potrzebuję uścisku, aby skłonić ją do zgięcia w biodrach. Po każdej małej sesji odpoczywaliśmy trochę.

Czytałem o uderzeniach wpływających na demencję i może to być przyczyną drastycznych zmian w jej umyśle. Wspomniała o demencji naczyniowej i to właśnie ma Joan. Zapytam o to jutro neurologa.

Jedną dobrą rzeczą, jaką zauważyłem, było to, że przez pierwsze 3 godziny jej ręka nie miała wstrząsów. Wrócili około 14:00, ale nie z taką samą intensywnością. Właśnie tego dzisiaj trzymam ... Potrzebuję czegoś dobrego, żeby mnie trzymać razem. Podejrzewam, że jutro powiedzą mi, że wysyłają ją do domu we wtorek.

4 comments:

  1. Marilyn Mapes8:33 PM

    David.....I am praying daily for your precious Joan! I can only imagine the uphill struggle this will be for both of you, but your love for each other will pull you through! You are so devoted to each other and it is so easy to see! Prayers for each of you in your path to recovery! Love and hugs to both of you! 💕💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:02 AM

    What a sweet and creative way to urge Joan to move more and use her body.
    But, you didn't mention here IF she recognized it was YOU asking her to
    kiss and hug you. If not, then...you have something more to worry about!
    Oh,David, just a bit of kidding with you...hope it gave you a smile or
    chuckle (sometimes, we just HAVE to look for the humor in a terrible
    situation, don't we. Better to laugh a little, than cry a lot-- for sure, better for the Liver) ;~}

    Anyway, was good hearing that Joan was awake and moving around today.


    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Stephanie, it was a good thing. She did know it was me. It is better to laugh a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Marilyn, for writing your comment on the blog. It is going to be an uphill struggle. However, when I think back to the aneurysm followed by the stroke, that was an extremely hard time getting her to walk again. Of course, she didn't have this dementia problem thrown in with it like now.

    ReplyDelete