Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Memories

In emails between my cousin Sandy(Kazmierczak)Drury and I, we wrote about old memories of the family. She is the oldest daughter of Adam, my grandfather's oldest son(deceased).

I have memories back to when my brother Wally was attending St. Casimir's school behind the grandparents rented brick house. I was 3-4 years old.  I use to walk down the sidewalk to the back gate, climb up to the bottom board and watch him go to school. At the back of the yard on the left was planted corn and on the right, vegetables that grandma canned. I have a vivid memory of her standing by the kitchen stove
with a long apron on. Also the bathroom where the door immediately across from the toilet led to a winding staircase to the attic. The kitchen table was in front of the window that overlooked the church, to the right a built-in china cabinet and then grandpa's bedroom. Grandma's bedroom was just to the left of the kitchen stove. On the back porch was the icebox. The side yard was lower in elevation and we used to play there. In front of it, facing Cameron street, was a row of bushes. I remember attending the funerals of both grandparents across the street in Dziadowicz's funeral home.

In those days, many people who smoked, like my grandfather, rolled their own cigarettes. They bought a small cloth bag of tobacco and cigarette papers to make the cigarettes. My grandfather amazed me because he could hold the paper in his left hand between the thumb and first finger and open the bag with his teeth, pour in a little tobacco, roll the paper in his left hand into a cigarette, lick the paper with his tongue and squeeze the papers together to form a cigarette. It always seemed like a magic trick to me.

My grandmother was a kind woman. Whenever I had a cold she would put me in her bed, give me a cup of tea with honey, a shot of whiskey and cover me with her feathered cover. It was heavily filled with goose down and very hot to sleep under. On her dresser was a miniature grotto to the Virgin Mary and she always lit a candle there. I can still see her standing in front of the cooking stove wearing a long apron. So many memories still fill my head. I am glad I have them.

W korespondencji pomiędzy mną a moją kuzynką Sandy (Kazmierczak) Drury, wymienialiśmy dawne wspomnienia o rodzinie. Sandy jest najstarszą córką Adama, najstarszego brata mojego zmarłego dziadka.

Wspomnieniami wracam do czasów, kiedy mój brat Wally uczęszczał do szkoły św. Kazimierza znajdującej się za murowanym domem wynajmowanym przez dziadków. Miałem 3-4 lata. Zwykle chodziłem po chodniku do tylnej bramy, wspinałem się na nią pośrodku i obserwowałem,  jak idzie do szkoły. Na tyłach ogrodu,  po lewej stronie była posadzona kukurydza i po prawej warzywa, które babcia zaprawiała. Mam żywe wspomnienia o tym, jak  ubrana w długi fartuch stoi przy kuchennym piecu. Również o łazience i drzwiach naprzeciwko toalety, skąd  kręte schody prowadziły bezpośrednio na poddasze. Stół kuchenny stał pod oknem, z którego rozpościerał się widok na kościół, po prawej stała wykonana w Chinach szafka, a dalej była sypialnia dziadka. Sypialnia babci była po lewej stronie kuchenki. Na tylnym ganku znajdowała się lodówka.  Podwórko było niżej położone niż budynek i tam bawiliśmy się . Naprzeciwko niego, w stronę ulicy Camerona, był rząd krzaków. Pamiętam, jak uczestniczyłem w pogrzebach dziadków w domu pogrzebowym Dziadowicza, po drugiej stronie ulicy.

W tamtych czasach wiele osób, które paliły, tak jak mój dziadek, zwijało własne papierosy. Kupowali małą torebkę tytoniu i papierki na papierosy. Dziadek mnie zadziwiał, ponieważ mógł trzymać papier w lewej dłoni między kciukiem a palcem wskazującym i zębami otworzyć torebkę z tytoniem, wsypać  trochę tytoniu, zrolować papierek z tytoniem lewą ręką, polizać papier swoim językiem i skleić, aby utworzyć papieros. Zawsze wydawało mi się, że to magiczna sztuczka.

Moja babcia była dobrą kobietą. Zawsze, gdy byłem przeziębiony, układała mnie w swoim łóżku, podawała mi filiżankę herbaty z miodem, kieliszek whisky i przykrywała mnie pokryciem wypełnionym gęsim pierzem, pod którym było gorąco i trudno było spać. Na jej komodzie stała  miniaturowa grota  Panny Marii i Babcia zawsze zapalała świecę. Nadal widzę, jak stoi przed piecem kuchennym w długim fartuchu. Tak wiele wspomnień wciąż wypełnia moją głowę. Cieszę się, że je mam.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories David. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what lovely memories...in such detail too. The best being the 'vision' of yor Grandmother (surely an archetype of the strength, and love of an Elder Wise Woman)!
    But, I'm very curious (and you need not answer if it seems too prying): Why did your grandparents have their seperate rooms? I only ask because I too grew up in a Polish Catholic family in the Midwest, USA, and my paternal gradparents lived in the same building. And they slept together-- always as a married couple of the time 'should'-- esp. under the Catholic 'shoulds'.....
    Now, maybe it was just a space issue? And more couples of our grandparents generation would've chosen to have their own rooms if they could've? But, I just find it kind of peculiar. Given that my very Catholic parents too, followed their parent's suit all their lives, even when they had the extra 'room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GG...maybe my grandfather snored a lot or tossed and turned too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...that did cross my mind, David...and that would surely do it! I recall a
    sweet uncle who chain-snored SO loud and couldn't be easily woken either; and my
    mischievous relatives (including his wife) would "dress him up" and take a photo or two...for posterity...or proof :~}

    ReplyDelete