Sunday, October 08, 2017

The wood shop.




When the roofing was all done. I put plywood sheets over the outside, put the insulation in the walls and ceiling and hired 2 men to put up the gypsum board on the inside to cover the walls. While they were doing that I added cedar shingles to all outside walls. Joan and I then proceeded to paint the inside walls white. When it was finished, it looked wonderful. A big, 20'x24', space ready to become my wood shop. The south wall faced the house off to the left and that is where I installed the big bay windows, so I could always see Joan when she was outside. The only door faced east, overlooking the valley and ridge at the end of our property. We owned approximately 80 acres.

Oh, before the men put up the gypsum board, I marked the location for all the electrical outlets and had an electrician install the wiring and main fuse panel. I need a work bench so I built one out of 2x4's that occupied the whole length of the bay windows, 12'.

During two days I installed the machinery, an 18" planer, a standing drill press, a joiner, a table saw a Band saw, a mitre saw and a special table I built to hold a large router, upside-down.

To prevent myself from breathing in all the sawdust I would create, I bought a large, standing, 2 bag vacuum machine and installed it in one corner. I used for 4" stove pipe attached to the walls with pipe connected to each machine. Each one had it's own on/off vent so that when I was using the planer, for example,  the vacuum vent for that machine was opened and all the sawdust went into the cleaner, not in the air. It worked perfectly. I had various other hand tools or routers that I kept in a wall cabinet I built.

Most of the woods I used were from a local logger I knew who saved any unusual logs for me. I used bird's-eye maple. curly birch. curly maple, red oak, white oak but I needed darker woods for contrast so every now and then I would take my truck and drive to Wisconsin where I could buy black walnut. There was a great wood store there, kind of kike a Walmart for woodworkers. In it they had row upon row of different kinds of woods, some I had never seen before. Two I particularly liked were lacewood from Australia and purple heart from Brazil. The lace wood was amazing. It's natural color was like light salmon but the grain had patterns in it like lace. However, when you put a clear lacquer finish on it, the wood turned almost golden salmon. I used it in combination with black walnut to build some beautiful boxes.

The purple heart was a deep purple in color and one of the hardest woods I worked with. It would quickly dull the blades on my planer so I had to re-sharpen them frequently. It was a very heavy wood but so plentiful in Brazil that they used it to make pallets.

I started out with my own standard design for jewelry boxes but as time went on discovered new ways to cut and glue wood together to make them more creative. Bird's-eye maple was the most beautiful to me and, luckily, plentiful in the U.P. Once, while doing an art show in Escanaba, a man bought one of my boxes and while talking to him I found out he was the owner of the Ludington House, one of the oldest hotel/restaurants in that town. He said he was remodeling one of the rooms and taking down all of the bird's-eye paneling in the room. I asked if he would sell it to me but. instead, he offered it all to me in exchange for 4 boxes made from the paneling. I quickly agreed and the next week I drove back down to Escanaba and packed it all into my truck.  During the next week I took the boxes to him and he gave us an additional surprise present, a weekend stay in his hotel.

I loved being a woodworker and met many nice people during the various art shows we attended. Sometimes there would be returning customers the next year and sometimes special orders to make for them. We met many excellent artists and one, Dietmar Krumry, the best wildlife painter in Michigan, became a good friend. Unfortunately, he passed away last year.

The shop was 10' from the house, in a great location with solitude and nature surrounding. In the Spring after we built it, Joan bought a large package of wildflower seed and planted them in front of the shop. The next year they bloomed and were beautiful.

Gdy zadaszenie było zrobione, ułożyłem sklejki, umieściłem w ścianach i suficie izolację, i zatrudniłem 2 mężczyzn, do zamontowania płyty gipsowej i pokrycia ścian od wewnątrz. Gdy się tym zajmowali, dodałem cedrowe gonty na wszystkich ścianach zewnętrznych. Joan i ja następnie przystąpiliśmy do malowania ścian wewnątrz na biały kolor. Kiedy skończyliśmy, całość  wyglądała wspaniale. Duża 20'x24', przestrzeń gotowa by stać się moim zakladem drewnianym. Południowa ściana była skierowana na dom po lewej, tutaj zainstalowałem duże wykusze, więc zawsze widziałem Joan, gdy była na zewnątrz. Jedyne drzwi wychodziły na wschód, z widokiem na dolinę i grzbiet górski, na końcu naszej własności. Byliśmy w posiadaniu około 80 akrów.

Och, zanim robotnicy umieścić płytę gipsową, zaznaczyłem lokalizację dla wszystkich gniazd elektrycznych i okablowania oraz głównego panelu bezpieczników. Musiałem mieć stół do pracy, więc zbudowałem go z płyty o wielkości 2x4, który zajmował całą długość okien wykuszowych.

W ciągu dwóch dni zainstalowałem maszynę, stół do cięcia 18", wiertarkę pionową, różne rodzaje pił i specjalny stół zbudowany w celu utrzymania dużego routera, odwróconego do góry nogami.

Aby nie wdychać pyłów unoszących się podczas pracy, kupiłem dużą, stojącą maszynę do odpylania i zainstalowałem ją w rogu. Wykorzystałem 4" rurę pieca, przymocowaną do ścian, z przewodem rurowym dla każdej maszyny. Każda z nich miała swój własny wyłącznik odpowietrzania tak, że kiedy używałem na przykład struga, odpowietrznik próżniowy dla tej maszyny był otwarty i wszystkie pyły były wciągane, a nie fruwały w powietrzu. To działało idealnie. Miałem też różne inne narzędzia ręczne lub routery. Trzymałem je w szafie ściennej, którą zbudowałem. 

Większość drewna, którego używałem pochodziło od lokalnego drwala, który zachowywał dla mnie niezwykłe okazy. Używałem klonu "bird's eye", brzozy karelskiej,  dębu czerwonego, białego, ale też potrzebowałem ciemniejszego drewna dla kontrastu, więc co jakiś czas brałem samochód i jechałem do Wisconsin, gdzie mogłem kupić czarny orzech. Był tam wielki sklep z artykułami drewnianymi i do obróbki, rodzaj Walmart'u dla stolarzy. Mieli rzędy różnych rodzajów drewna, niektórych gatunków nigdy nie widziałem. Dwa szczególnie mi się podobały: lacewood z Australii i fioletowe serce z Brazylii. Drewno lacewood było niesamowite. Miało kolor łososiowy z koronkowym wzorem. Po nałożeniu na nie jasnego lakieru, drewno zyskiwało barwę złotego łososia. Używałem go w połączeniu z czarnym orzechem by budować piękne pudełka.

Fioletowe serce miało głęboko purpurowy kolor i było to jedno z najtwardszych rodzajów drewna, z jakim pracowałem. Szybko tępiło ostrza noży, więc musiałem często je ponownie ostrzyć. To był bardzo twarde drewno, ale tak obficie rosnące w Brazylii, że używali go do robienia palet.

Zacząłem od własnego standardowego wzoru pudełek z biżuterią, ale kiedy odkryłem nowe sposoby wycinania i klejenia drewna, starałem się uczynić je ciekawszymi. Klon "bird's eye" był według mnie mnie najpiękniejszy Na szczęście rósł obficie. Kiedyś, podczas pokazu sztuki w Escanaba, pewien człowiek kupił jedno z moich pudełek, a gdy rozmawiałam z nim, dowiedziałem się, że jest właścicielem Ludington  House, jednego z najstarszych hoteli / restauracji w tym mieście. Powiedział, że przebudowuje jeden z pokoi i usuwa z niego całe panele wykonane z tego rodzaju klonu. Zapytałem, czy sprzeda mi je, ale zamiast tego zaproponował, że da mi je w zamian za 4 pudełka zrobione z tych paneli. Szybko się zgodziłem, a w następnym tygodniu pojechałem z powrotem do Escanaba i zapakowałem wszystko do mojego samochodu. W kolejnym przywiozłem mu pudła, a on zrobił nam dodatkową niespodziankę, zafundował weekendowy pobyt w swoim hotelu.

Kochałem pracę z drewnem i spotkałem wielu miłych ludzi podczas różnych pokazów artystycznych, w których uczestniczyliśmy. Czasami klienci wracali do nas w następnym roku, a czasami zamawiali coś specjalnie dla siebie. Spotkaliśmy wielu znakomitych artystów, a jeden z nich, Dietmar Krumry, najlepszy malarz dzikiej przyrody w Michigan, stał się dobrym przyjacielem. Niestety, zmarł w ubiegłym roku. Zakład stał 10 sekund marszu od domu, w doskonałej lokalizacji, w otoczeniu natury. Wiosną po tym jak go zbudowaliśmy, Joan kupiła duży pakiet nasion dzikich kwiatów  i zasiała je przed sklepem. Następnego roku zakwitły i były przepiękne.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:09 PM

    Linda from Texas

    To answer yesterday’s question - I just check your blog each day.
    Wow what an amazing job you did. Those jewelry boxes were beautiful. Wish you were still doing them, I would commission you to do one for my 5 year old granddaughter. She just got her ears pierced and needs a place now for her earrings.
    Loved the memory picture of you and Joan on top of your blog. Enjoy all the pictures you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those wonderful stories about building your woodworking shop David. I can just picture the wildflowers and the bay windows overlooking the natural beauty surrounding you. What wonderful memories you built... and what lasting treasures you produced in that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello David, This story sounds so beautiful. Why did you leave?
    PS I don't get any notification that you respond to a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We left because after 5 years wasn't profitable enough to sustain a living nad the 2 generators we used to produce our electricity we're starting to breakdown too often. It was a good thing thought because 2 years later Joan had her aneurysym and if we had been living in the remote location where we were, Joan probably would not have received good enough treatment to live. So, in the end, it was a good decision. At times, we do miss living there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucie, yes, it was the most wonderful and beautiful place we have ever lived. For us it's the most beautiful place in the Midwest. It wasn't an easy decision to make and move from a surrounding of total nature with no neighbors to a concrete city suburb of Chicago. However, it gave us the opportunity to discover the many wonders of Chicago. something we hadn't done when living there before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I hoped you fared well through the hurricane. I, also, wish I were still building them also. Regretfully, I never, though I wanted to, kept one of the big cases for Joan. She was the marketing manager and every time I made one or two of them, she would sell them. Each was $500 and we always needed the money. They were really beautiful and she should have had one. We kept about 10 of the smaller ones for her but I always regret not overriding her decision not to keep one for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others here in applauding your SO VERY CREATIVE wood-working
    talents. You could continue sharing such talent in Poland, no???

    ReplyDelete