Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Favorki!

Oh no, rain today so it will probably melt the Christmas snow away. Too bad!!

Joan and I finished the Christmas shopping at King Cross, then did the food shopping for the next week, including the food for Christmas day dinner which we will spend at home. I dug out my mothers recipe for favorki (Chruściki) so on Thursday morning I will use it to make them for our Christmas eve dinner with friends. If they turn out good (a small miracle needed here) I think it will be a nice thing to take with us to Wigilia. My mothers were are the best, of course, so I hope I can duplicate them. It was always part of the presents given to me from her and my aunt Merch, usually a LARGE box filled with them that I and Joan devoured. I've tasted them here in Poland and they are different than what I remember. Here there are softer and not so crispy to the taste. Maybe it's the added rum my mother put into the recipe :-)

Och nie, deszcz dzisiaj tak to prawdopodobnie roztopi śnieg Boże Narodzenie. Niefortunnie!!

Joan i ja skończyłem Boże Narodzenie robiące zakupy przy King Cross, wtedy robiłem zakupy żywność przez w przyszłym tygodniu, włączając żywność dla Bożego Narodzenia obiadu dnia, który spędzimy w domu. Odkopałem moją receptę matek dla favorki (Chruściki) tak w ranek czwartku użyję tego by zrobić ich dla naszego wigilii Bożego Narodzenia obiadu z przyjaciółmi. Jeżeli oni okazują się dobry (mały cud potrzebny tutaj) myślę, że to będzie miła rzecz by wziąć z nami do Wigilia. Moje matki były są najlepsze, oczywiście, więc mam nadzieję, że mogę podwoić ich. To było zawsze część prezentów danych do mnie od niej i mojego ciotki Merch, zwykle WIELKIE pudełko napełniało się z nimi, że ja i Joan pożarta. Skosztowałem ich tutaj w Polsce i oni są inni niż co pamiętam. Tutaj są miększe i nie tak kruche do smaku. Być może to jest dodany rum moja matka położona do recepty :-)

1 comment:

  1. Anna from Florida8:59 PM

    Dear Joan and David,

    I read your blog about faworki. There are two things to remember
    1. I do not know if your Mom used sour cream to make them, if she did they will be more crispy
    2. Since she use rum, that also made tham crispy. if you can not get rum, get 100 proof alcohol - spirytus to add to your dough. That makes faworki very crispy.

    Also dough should be quite stiff and when you use rolling pin, roll the dough very thin.

    To check if your fat is hot enough, use piece of dough, thinly rolled and place in the frying pan to check temperature, when piece of dough comes up very quickly, the fat is hot enough to fry faworki. Type of fat also is important. I do not know wha ttype of fat your Mom used, but lard is the best for crispy faworki.

    Good luck with your venture into making faworki and please let everyone how they turned out.

    Have a great Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year,

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete