Thursday, December 06, 2007

Flowers For Joan



I'm a romantic. When we lived in America I would bring flowers or balloons to Joan for no occasion, just to tell her that I love her. Since we have been in Poland she has received flowers from visiting cousins but not from me so I thought it was past the time I should do this. I went out to buy some bacon for tonight's Żurek but first went to the flower shop nearby. I told the lady, in Polish, "Please excuse my poor Polish. I have only been in Poland for four months and still do no speak well. I want to buy six roses for my wife". She showed me her selection of roses and I picked the ones I wanted. Like everything else in Poland now, the price was almost the same as in the U.S. I don't know how the average citizen will be able to survive without drastic changes in wages. There are American like prices for everything but still incomes are so small. Something has to change.

I stopped at the meat store and told the lady, in Polish, "I need bacon for making soup tonight". She asked me what kind of soup and I told her Żurek Staropolski. She said it was her favorite.

I brought the flowers home and surprised Joan. Then we remembered we had given away all of our vases before we left America and did not have a vase for the flowers. I improvised, cutting a large water bottle, and we used that for the vase. If you click on the picture you can see our new "vase".



Jestem romantykiem. Kiedy zamieszkaliśmy w Ameryce przyniósłbym kwiaty albo balony do Joan dla żadnej okazji, właśnie by powiedzieć jej, że kocham ją. Odkąd byliśmy w Polsce ona otrzymała kwiaty od odwiedzania kuzynów ale nie ode mnie tak pomyślałem, że to było za czasem powinienem zrobić to. Wyszedłem kupić trochę boczku dla dzisiejszego wieczora Żurek ale po pierwsze poszedłem do kwiatu robię zakupy pobliski. Powiedziałem panią, po polsku, "Proszę usprawiedliw mój biedny język polski. Tylko jestem w Polsce od czterech miesięcy i cichy robię żaden nie mówią dobrze. Chcę kupić sześć różów dla mojej żony". Ona pokazała mi jej wybór różów i wybrałem jedne, których chciałem. Jak wszystko inaczej w Polsce teraz, cena była prawie to samo jak w Stanach Zjednoczonych nie robię doświadczenie przeciętny obywatel będzie mógł utrzymać się przy życiu bez drastycznych zmian w zarobku. Są amerykańskie jak ceny dla wszystkiego ale ciche dochody są tak skromne. Coś musi zmienić się.


Zatrzymałem się przy sklepie mięsa i powiedziałem panią, po polsku, "Potrzebuję boczku dla robienia zupy dzisiaj wieczorem". Ona pytała mi jaki rodzaj zupy i powiedziałem jej Żurek Staropolski. Ona powiedziała, że to jest jej faworyt.


Przyniosłem do domu kwiaty i zaskoczyłem Joan. Wtedy zapamiętaliśmy, że wydaliśmy wszystkie z naszych naczyń przed my opuściły Amerykę i nie miały wazy dla kwiatów. Zaimprowizowałem, tnąc wielką butelkę wody , i używaliśmy tamtego dla wazy. Jeżeli klikasz na obrazie możesz zobaczyć naszą nową "wazę".

7 comments:

  1. Well, if you haven't finished your Christmas shopping for Joan, a nice lead crystal vase would work!

    Sharon in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and romantic vase:-). Very important in this case... beautiful flowers for Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you do with the flowers cousins brought when they visited?
    The most beautiful velvety red roses I have ever seen were in a grocery shop in a suburb of Warsaw. I cringed as my friend tried to ascertain whether they were real... At a mere 4zl each I still regret not buying and then thinking of a good reason for doing so!
    I can tell Joan is a worthy recipient of your lovely flowers David :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you do with the flowers cousins brought when they visited?
    The most beautiful velvety red roses I have ever seen were in a grocery shop in a suburb of Warsaw. I cringed as my friend tried to ascertain whether they were real... At a mere 4zl each I still regret not buying and then thinking of a good reason for doing so!
    I can tell Joan is a worthy recipient of your lovely flowers David :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bronwyn...these are also deep velvet red roses. 8 zl each now.:-0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:26 PM

    David...
    What a romantic--how wonderful...what a great way to show your love and thank you to her. I was going to say the same about the vase--because I remember the beautiful crystal there. But we do whatever works at the time.
    The roses are beautiful, the close-up pic is great.
    Enjoy the season.
    Hugs,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you may know, Mother's Day is May 26. I went to the school where I was teaching, and each student had a flower for me. Then they asked about a "waze" and came with a coffee bottle. At 4:45 the next morning, in the bright sunlight in my room -- it was May after all -- it turned into one of the best pictures I have. Maybe I can sent the picture by e-mail.

    ReplyDelete