Thursday, March 27, 2014

Learning.

Looking back on my studying of the Polish language I made two BIG mistakes. The first was trying to learn rules of grammar. I don't know how many books or courses I used to try to make sense of them but I believe they hampered my learning rather than advanced it. I spent hours, days, weeks, months and years reviewing them and still today I don't know how to use what are called "cases"

The second mistake was with vocabulary. I tried learning five new words a day for months, just single words, but after 4 months I had a list of 600 words already and found that the words I thought I learned three months ago had already been forgotten. It took quite a while that a better way was to learn words in the context of sentences. Those words I remembered, even after 3 months. So, I guess the truth of it all, for me, is don't learn grammar rules and don't learn words out of context in a sentence.

This all dawned on me only recently when I started looking at a course in Spanish and the first two rules of the course were: Don't learn words out of context and don't learn grammar rules. It makes sense when you think that young children learn to speak only by speaking. They don't learn grammar rules and don't learn single words. Sure, later, in school, grammar is strongly taught but by that time they already speak fluently. But those "rules" are soon forgotten when schooling is finished. I spent years in English classes where they did the same thing with grammar but today there are only about four tenses I can tell you the rules for out of 16. Even learning these rules for 16 tenses was useless because we use, maybe, 8 tenses on a daily bases and even then I can't tell you which tense is which in some instances.



Here is an intersting view of Poznań............http://wtkplay.pl/video-id-9878-jak_amerykanin_odnalazl_sie_w_poznaniu

I'vee recently trying to make up for lost time by speaking more daily in Polish using the conversation exchange. Now I'm talking with three to four people a day in Polish during the week. Zbyszek said I need to speak three hours a day, everyday, but it's difficult to do that because it takes so much time being somewhat isolated from my wife. During my "talking time" she either reads, does housework, prepares meals and, in general, is on her own.

Today was Kandulski day for us so I did get to spend time with her and Zbyszek after Polish conversations in the morning for an hour and a half. I spoke from 9:00-12:00, then we hurried to the store for weekly food shopping and got back just in time to go to Kandulski's at 2:15PM.

Patrząc wstecz na uczenie się z języka polskiego zrobiłem dwa duże błędy. Najpierw starałem się nauczyć zasad gramatyki . Nie wiem, jak wiele książek użyłem lub ilu kursach kiedyś uczestniczyłem,  aby spróbować je zrozumieć , ale uważam, że raczej utrudniały mi naukę, niż rozwijały . Spędziłem godziny, dni, tygodnie, miesiące i lata ich przeglądanie i do dziś nie wiem , jak korzystać z tego, co nazywa się "przypadki ".

Drugi błąd dotyczył słownictwa . Próbowałem uczyć przez miesiąc pięć nowych  słówek dziennie, zwykłe proste słowa, a po 4 miesiącach miałem już listę 600 słów, ale okazało się, że słowa, o których myślałem, że nauczyłem się 3 miesiące temu zostały już zapomniane. Minęło sporo czasu , kiedy okazało się, że lepszym sposobem było uczyć się słów w kontekście zdania. Te słowa przypomniałem sobie , nawet po 3 miesiącach . Tak, myślę, że to wszystko prawda , ale dla mnie , to nie uczyć się gramatyki , nie uczyć się słów z kontekstu w zdaniu.

To wszystko dotarło do mnie dopiero niedawno , kiedy zacząłem patrzeć na kurs hiszpańskiego i dwie pierwsze zasady były, oczywiście : Nie uczyć się słów z kontekstu i nie uczyć się gramatyki . To ma sens , gdy myślisz , że małe dzieci uczą się mówić tylko przez mówienie . Nie uczą się gramatyki i nie uczą się pojedynczych słów . Oczywiście, później w szkole , uczy się gramatyki , ale zdecydowanie do tego czasu już mówi się płynnie . Ale te "zasady " zostały szybko zapomniane , gdy szkolenie jest zakończone . Spędziłem lata na lekcjach angielskiego , gdzie robili to samo z gramatyką , ale dzisiaj istnieją tylko  cztery czasy z wszystkich 16, których zasady  mogę przedstawić. Nawet nauka  zasad tych 16 czasów było bezużyteczna, ponieważ używamy na co dzień może 8 z nich,  a nawet wtedy nie mogę powiedzieć, które z nich w jakich przypadkach używamy.
To jest ciekawych widok Poznaniu ............ http://wtkplay.pl/video-id-9878-jak_amerykanin_odnalazl_sie_w_poznaniu

Od niedawna próbuję nadrobić stracony czas , mówiąc częściej,  codziennie w języku polskim korzystając z wymiany językowej. Teraz rozmawiam z  trzema lub czterema osobami dziennie w języku polskim w ciągu tygodnia . Zbyszek powiedział, że trzeba mówić trzy godziny dziennie  codziennie, ale trudno to zrobić , bo to trwa tyle czasu, a ja czuję sie nieco odizolowany od mojej żony . Podczas mojego "czasu rozmowy " ona albo czyta , robi prace domowe , przygotowuje posiłki i  w ogóle coś na  własną rękę .

Dziś był dla nas dzień u Kandulskiego, więc spędziłem czas z nią i Zbyszkiem po porannych rozmowach po polsku przez półtorej godziny. Rozmawiałem między 9:00-12:00 , potem pobiegłem do sklepu na tygodniowy zakup żywności i wróciłem w sam raz , aby przyjść do Kandulskich na 14:15 .

2 comments:

  1. You are right. I tried to learn Polish grammar on my own and failed. The Polish that I know is from what I learned from the conversation of my grandparents when I was a very young child. I can still remember what I learned. I still want to revisit Poland, maybe in 2105. My daughter, Sue, and her husband are very interested in going.
    Mary Ann Bergevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great, for you to visit. I never met Sausan, I just know her from the pictures I have.

    ReplyDelete