Monday, May 01, 2017

Gen Dobry!

There is a monthly publication on the internet, Gen Dobry!, that helped me in the beginning of my genealogy research. I wrote a Thank You letter to the editor, Mr. William F. "Fred" Hoffman, and he published it in this months issue. You can read it if you download and scroll down to page 4 of this month's issue to..A Journey Home to Poznan.          http://www.polishroots.org/Portals/0/Gendobry/GD_XVIII_4.pdf?ver=2017-04-30-132213-010

Yesterday, after arriving home at 10:30, we had to do a little food shopping for the next three days since it's a 3 day holiday starting today, May 1st-Labor Day and May 3rd-Polish Constitution Day. Many people in Poland celebrate Constitution Day (Święto Konstytucji 3 Maja or Święto Narodowe Trzeciego Maja), which commemorates the enactment of the Polish Constitution that came into effect on May 3, 1791.Constitution Day is part of a holiday season known as Majówka, which also includes the May 1/Labor Day holiday. It is celebrated with military parades, spring concerts and family picnics. Many people also gather at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Grób Nieznanego Żołnierza) at the Piłsudski Square in Warsaw. The monument is dedicated to unknown soldiers who gave their lives for Poland. Most major stores should be closed.

After shopping, paying the energy and electricity bill, we had an early dinner and were in bed by 21:00, exhausted from the early morning wake up, 3:30, for our flight and travel home. We left Spain on a cloudy morning and returned to a sunny Poznań.

Jest taka comiesięczna publikacja w Internecie, która nazywa się "Gen Dobry!", i która pomogła mi na początku moich poszukiwań genealogicznych. Napisałem list z podziękowaniami do redaktora, pana Williama F. „Freda” Hoffmana, który opublikował go w tym miesiącu. Możesz go przeczytać - po pobraniu, przejdź do strony 4 tego miesięcznika, do: "Podróż do domu do Poznania" ("A Journey Home to Poznan")

http://www.polishroots.org/Portals/0/Gendobry/GD_XVIII_4.pdf?ver=2017-04-30-132213-010

Wczoraj, po przybyciu do domu o 10:30, musieliśmy zrobić małe zakupy żywnościowe na najbliższe trzy dni, ponieważ są to dni świąteczne - dzisiaj, 1 maja - Święto Pracy, a 3 maja - polski Dzień Konstytucji. Wielu ludzi w Polsce obchodzi Dzień Konstytucji (Święto Konstytucji 3 Maja czy Święto Narodowe Trzeciego Maja), które upamiętnia uchwalenie Konstytucji Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, która weszła w życie w dniu 3 maja 1791. Święto Konstytucji jest jednym z kilku wolnych dni, zwanych Majówką, która obejmuje również święto 1 maja / Święto Pracy. Tego dnia są parady wojskowe, koncerty wiosenne i pikniki rodzinne. Wielu ludzi gromadzi się również przy Grobie Nieznanego Żołnierza (the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier) na Placu Piłsudskiego w Warszawie. Pomnik ten jest poświęcony żołnierzom o nieznanych nazwiskach, którzy oddali swoje życie dla Polski. Większość dużych sklepów jest w te dni zamknięte.

Po zakupach, zapłacie rachunków za energię i prąd, zjedliśmy wczesną kolację, a spać położyliśmy się przed 21:00, wyczerpani po wczesno porannej pobudce (o 3:30), by zdążyć na lot do domu. Opuściliśmy Hiszpanię w pochmurny poranek i wróciliśmy do słonecznego Poznania.
 

3 comments:

  1. David, thank you SO MUCH for providing the link to Gen Dobry! (I had been a subscriber for many years but somehow lost my "connection" and stopped receiving the newsletter a while back. Now I can reconnect!)

    But more pertinently, thank you so much for informing us about your letter to the editor! I read it with great interest.... and learned so much about the spark and beginnings of your journey back "home" to Poland. My story is similar (in that I finally got to meet my cousins and surviving aunts and uncles in southern Poland (by the Russian border)in 2005. Even though I had never set foot in Poland before, as soon as I got off the plane in Krakow I felt like I was coming home. And I had great intentions of visiting at least every other year in the future. Unfortunately, due to my husband's severe brain injury the next year, we've never been back.

    I enjoy reading your blogs about important events and your daily routines. I admire your dedication to your commitment to the blog... and your passion for your heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home you two!

    I finally caught up on your blog (except for photos, which I didn't have time to do
    until now and am enjoying 'reliving' a lot of your travels and meet-ups with your many friends and family ;~}....

    Enjoyed your trip to Spain almost as much as you did! Shared your pic album of the modernesque structures there, w. a modern-architectural-loving friend and she was
    amazed and thrilled to see them (as many years ago her daughter went there on a school, but of course, these kinds of buildings were only a future spark in the architect/artist's eye)!

    I especially like the photo of you and Joan in the café, you have posted....good
    shot!

    And...had just checked my email and opened my April 2017 online issue of Gen Dobry!,
    saw the Poznan listing in the contents and thought (whoa...something, I'll have to show to David). I was surprised to say the least, when I went to the article and it was YOURS! (glad you've been a long-time subscriber to this great newsletter).

    This letter of yours (I never knew this backstory) made ME cry...I instantly recalled the tears that came when I found my Grand-Uncle's grave this past year on my first trip to Poland (so, I do understand what you must have been feeling).
    And, what a Great welcome you had received from your family relations there....

    Lastly, I sent you a couple more comments on the jazz club, via the May 2016 posting/
    comments area.

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lucie, for your comment. You're one of the reasons why my commitment to writing the blog is easy. Sometimes I wonder if anyone really reads this stuff I write but then your comments pop up and they keep me going. According to the "stats" I have more than a few readers but I can count the commentators on one hand.

    ReplyDelete