Sunday, December 23, 2012

Favorki or Chruschiki


No matter what name you call it, it's one of the best pastries from my childhood.  My mother called it chruschiki. I never heard the word favorki until I moved to Poland. I've tasted them from different sources but I still think my mothers were the best and thank goodness I have her recipe.

Joan and I started about 11:00 to make the dough needed for them, put it into the refrigerator for an hour or so and then rolled it out into one long roll.  We cut the roll into six parts, three of which we used to make todays batch.  We're going to dinner party on December 26th and we'll use the other three rolls to make chruschiki with us to the party.  Instead  of the traditional vodka added we used scotch this time, other than that the recipe stayed in tact from my mothers cookbook that I have. Some people use oil to fry them in but we use the traditional smalec.  So now we have a whole plate of them to eat which won't take long to eat. One is never enough and they can go very quickly.
Bez wzgl臋du na to, jaka nazwa to nazwa膰, jest to jedno z najlepszych ciast z mojego dzieci艅stwa. Moja mama nazywa to chruschiki. I nigdy nie s艂ysza艂em favorki s艂owo dop贸ki nie przeni贸s艂 si臋 do Polski. Jakie pr贸bowa艂em je z r贸偶nych 藕r贸de艂, ale nadal uwa偶am, 偶e moje matki by艂y najlepsze i dzi臋ki Bogu mam jej receptury.

Zacz膮艂ali艣my o 11:00, aby ciasto potrzebne dla nich, w艂o偶y膰 do lod贸wki na oko艂o godzin臋, a nast臋pnie przewr贸ci艂 go w jeden d艂ugi rolki. Tniemy rolk臋 na sze艣膰 cz臋艣ci, z kt贸rych trzy u偶yli艣my aby dzisiejsz膮 parti臋. Idziemy na kolacj臋 26 grudnia i b臋dziemy korzysta膰 z innych trzy rolki aby chruschiki z nami na imprez臋. Zamiast tradycyjnego w贸dki dodaje u偶yli艣my whisky tym razem, poza tym, 偶e przepis pozosta艂 w takt z mojej ksi膮偶ki kucharskiej matek, kt贸re mam. Niekt贸rzy ludzie u偶ywaj膮 oleju do sma偶enia ich w ale u偶y膰 tradycyjnej smalec. Wi臋c teraz mamy ca艂y talerz z nich do jedzenia, kt贸re nie potrwa d艂ugo, aby je艣膰. Jeden nie wystarczy i mog膮 i艣膰 bardzo szybko