Tuesday, April 28, 2015

2 things.

Two things in life really scare people...death and taxes. Today I had my experience with the latter. Even though I paid our taxes online I still had to take the actual forms into Urząd Skarbowy(Tax Office) in my district-Jezyce. I drove and parked close to the office and walked in. There were seven windows with signs above each window and each had a worker behind those ridiculous plastic windows that are only open at the very bottom making you bend down to speak to the attendent. It's like you're bowing down to them to speak. I walked up to one of the windows with no one in front of it and asked the worker if she spoke English. She told me a loud "NIE"(No) so I asked her in Polish what do I do with my forms. She took them, looked them all over and then, as usual, started stamping everything with the vigor of a gorilla pounding on a rock.  Now, in general, almost all government offices have improved their customer service since we first moved here but this woman was like the old days. It was like she was doing me a favor taking the forms and stamping them.  It's crunch time for taxes in Poland and I am sure they are very busy now but a little courtesy would still be nice.

We received the not so happy news that our grandson will not be coming this year to visit with us. I don't know the reason why.

Dwie rzeczy w życiu naprawdę straszą ludzi ... śmierć i podatki. Dziś miałem doświadczenie z tym ostatnim. Mimo, że zapłaciłem nasze podatki przez Internet,  musiałem jeszcze zabrać  formularze do Urzędu Skarbowego (Tax Office) w okręgu-Jeżyce. Pojechałem, zaparkowałem w pobliżu biura i wszedłem do budynku.  Było siedem okienek z napisami powyżej każdego z nich i za każdym plastikowym oknem, otwartym tylko na samym dole, aby schylić się i mówić do urzędnika - siedział pracownik. Wygląda na to, że trzeba się pokłonić , aby z nimi rozmawiać. Podszedłem do jednego z okienek, gdzie nikogo nie było i zapytałem pracowniczkę, czy ona mówi po angielsku. Powiedziała mi głośno "nie" , więc zapytałem ją po polsku, co mam zrobić z moimi formularzami. Wzięła je ode mnie, przeglądnęła całość, a potem, jak zwykle, zaczęła pieczątkować wszystko z zapałem  goryla walącego w  skałę. Ogólnie rzec biorąc, od kiedy przenieśliśmy się tutaj, prawie wszystkie urzędy poprawiły obsługę swoich klientów, ale ta kobieta była jak za dawnych czasów. Wyglądało to, jakby mi robiła łaskę biorąc formularze i stemplując je. To krytyczny moment  w Polsce dla rozliczenia się z podatków  i jestem pewien, że urzędnicy są teraz bardzo zajęci, ale byłoby miło z odrobiną uprzejmości.

Otrzymaliśmy niezbyt radosną nowinę, że nasz wnuk nie przyjedzie odwiedzić nas w tym roku. Nie wiem dlaczego.

2 comments:

  1. Ha,ha. The reality of Poland. Everything was like that in old communist Poland. Probably this woman was from those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:14 PM

    You should have asked for the name of that ,,lady,, and make a complain to the higher managment. I did so in Ratusz in my town in Poland. A few weeks later she appologize for beeing rude. The mayor after my advice gave her a lesson of good manners.
    But it true that the most clerks are much nicer that like 10 years ago...


    Pawel

    ReplyDelete