Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Maybe I shouldn't.

I miss the woman in the portrait I have shown you. She is still and will always be the love of my life. Of course, now she does not look like that. Who looks, at 75, the way they did when they were in their 20's or 30's. What I miss is the intellectual mind she once had. Yes, at first, it was her beauty and body that attracted me like a bee to honey. However, the more times we met and talked I realized how intelligent she was and conversations were always interesting. She had a thirst for knowledge on many different subjects and was persistent in gaining it.  She was tireless in keeping her body and mind in the best shape. We could spend a whole night just talking until dawn at times. I miss conversing with her now. The strokes and dementia have taken a heavy toll on her.  Maybe having that picture put on a larger canvas wasn't such a good idea after all. Now every time I look at it it reminds me too often how she was. As I write this, it sits on a chair facing me and I want to do so much more to help her recover but there is no recovery from dementia. I can only be with the present Joan and try hard to make her life comfortable. This other Joan is only alive in my memories. Together, we have been through difficult times in our 45 years together. This one is certainly the worst one. Probably I shouldn't be telling this to you but I have always worn my heart on my sleeve, so it comes out. It hurts me deeply, seeing her like this. It makes me angry, frustrated, sad at times. Her eyes, even in the portrait, still penetrate into my soul. Much of the light in them is now gone. I want it back, this nightmare to end. I've read enough to know that her condition will only get worse. It terrifies me.  I've never prayed, in earnest, to God as much as I do now. It is always the same prayer, "Please don't let it get worse".

Brakuje mi kobiety z portretu, który ci pokazałem. Ona jest i zawsze będzie miłością mojego życia. Oczywiście teraz tak nie wygląda. Kto, w wieku 75 lat, wygląda tak, jak wtedy, gdy mieli 20 lub 30 lat. Tęsknię za intelektualnym umysłem, który kiedyś miała. Tak, na początku to jej uroda i ciało przyciągały mnie jak pszczoła do miodu. Jednak im więcej razy się spotykaliśmy i rozmawialiśmy, zdawałem sobie sprawę, jaka była inteligentna, a rozmowy zawsze były interesujące. Była spragniona wiedzy na wiele różnych tematów i wytrwale ją zdobywała. Niestrudzenie utrzymywała swoje ciało i umysł w jak najlepszej kondycji. Czasami mogliśmy spędzić całą noc rozmawiając do świtu. Brakuje mi teraz rozmowy z nią. Udary i demencja bardzo ją odbiły. Może mimo wszystko umieszczenie tego obrazu na większym płótnie nie było dobrym pomysłem. Teraz za każdym razem, gdy na to patrzę, zbyt często przypomina mi, jaka była. Kiedy to piszę, siedzi na krześle naprzeciwko mnie i chcę zrobić o wiele więcej, aby pomóc jej wyzdrowieć, ale nie ma powrotu do zdrowia po demencji. Mogę być tylko z obecną Joan i bardzo się starać, aby jej życie było wygodne. Ta druga Joanna żyje tylko w moich wspomnieniach. Razem przeżyliśmy trudne chwile w ciągu naszych 45 lat. Ten jest z pewnością najgorszy. Prawdopodobnie nie powinienem ci tego mówić, ale zawsze nosiłem serce na rękawie, więc wychodzi. Bardzo mnie boli, widząc ją taką. Czasami mnie to denerwuje, frustruje, smutno. Jej oczy, nawet na portrecie, wciąż wnikają w moją duszę. Wiele światła w nich teraz zniknęło. Chcę to z powrotem, koniec tego koszmaru. Przeczytałem wystarczająco dużo, by wiedzieć, że jej stan tylko się pogorszy. To mnie przeraża. Nigdy szczerze nie modliłem się do Boga tak bardzo jak teraz. To zawsze ta sama modlitwa: „Proszę, nie pogarszaj się”.

Extraño a la mujer del retrato que te he mostrado. Ella sigue siendo y será siempre el amor de mi vida. Por supuesto, ahora ella no se ve así. Quién se ve, a los 75, como lo hacían cuando tenían entre 20 y 30 años. Lo que extraño es la mente intelectual que alguna vez tuvo. Sí, al principio fue su belleza y su cuerpo lo que me atrajo como una abeja a la miel. Sin embargo, cuantas más veces nos encontrábamos y hablábamos, me di cuenta de lo inteligente que era y las conversaciones siempre eran interesantes. Tenía sed de conocimiento sobre muchos temas diferentes y fue persistente en obtenerlo. Fue incansable en mantener su cuerpo y su mente en la mejor forma. Podríamos pasar una noche entera hablando hasta el amanecer a veces. Extraño conversar con ella ahora. Los accidentes cerebrovasculares y la demencia le han cobrado un gran precio. Tal vez poner esa imagen en un lienzo más grande no fue tan buena idea después de todo. Ahora, cada vez que lo miro, me recuerda demasiado a menudo cómo era ella. Mientras escribo esto, se sienta en una silla frente a mí y quiero hacer mucho más para ayudarla a recuperarse, pero no hay recuperación de la demencia. Solo puedo estar con la actual Joan y esforzarme por hacer su vida cómoda. Esta otra Joan solo está viva en mis recuerdos. Juntos, hemos pasado por momentos difíciles en nuestros 45 años juntos. Este es sin duda el peor. Probablemente no debería decirte esto, pero siempre he usado mi corazón en mi manga, así que sale. Me duele profundamente verla así. Me enoja, me frustra, a veces me entristece. Sus ojos, incluso en el retrato, aún penetran en mi alma. Gran parte de la luz en ellos ahora se ha ido. Lo quiero de vuelta, que esta pesadilla termine. He leído lo suficiente para saber que su condición solo empeorará. Me aterroriza. Nunca he orado, en serio, a Dios tanto como lo hago ahora. Siempre es la misma oración: "No dejes que las cosas empeoren".

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's condition. My mother in law suffered from the same desease. It took the medical stuff a long time to convince my father in law that she needs to be medicated and then it took some more time to find the right medication for her but when she finally started taking it, she improved so much, was so much happier and I hope the same will be truth for your wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you both. Lovely photo, but I can understand how frustrating it must now be to see the present and the past together. I hope you have the strength needed to keep caring so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as I breathe, Bronwyn, as long as I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:31 PM

    David,

    If you repeated this traditional vow at your marriage ceremony,
    NOW, more than ever...it counts:

    "For better or worse"

    God continue blessing you both-- for support and strength-in-supporting.

    ~Ess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:04 PM

    "As long as I breathe, Bronwyn, as long as I live."



    GOOD LUCK, GOOD TIDINGS AND
    FIND YOUR OWN WAY (like this couple did):

    https://mailchi.mp/2d912d0252f1/shake-out-2020-and-rock-in-2021?e=bff560bca0

    ReplyDelete