Friday, January 30, 2009

2+2=4

Two winters plus two colds each winter equals four colds since we've been here. The latest one hit me last night on the way home from Dr. Piernik. They come on like a freight train, cough, chills, sweat, sneezing and feeling like you're going to die. There's no warning symptoms, one minute you're healthy and the next flat on your back. I spent the night under 4 covers and I was still cold. All day today I laid in bed and took vitamin C. Only now was I able to sit here long enough to write this. Germs must be different here than in the U.S. I can't remember that last time I had a cold in America.


Dwie zimy plus dwa zimna każda zima równa się czterem zimnom odkąd byliśmy tutaj. Ostatni jeden uderzył mnie ubiegłej nocy w drodze do domu od Dr Piernika. Oni idą dalej jak pociąg towarowy, kaszel, dreszcze, pot, kichając i czujące ochotę na masz umrzeć. Nie mają żadnych ostrzegających symptomów, jedna minuta jesteś zdrowy i następnym mieszkaniem na twoich plecach. Spędziłem noc pod 4 okryciami i byłem jeszcze odczuwający zimno. Cały dzień dzisiaj położyłem w łóżku i wziąłem witaminę C. Tylko teraz mogłem usiąść tutaj długo dość by napisać to. Zarodki muszą być różne tutaj niż w Stanach Zjednoczonych, których nie mogę zapamiętać, że ostatnim razem miałem zimno w Ameryce

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about colds caused me to do a little research. Rhinoviruses are the most common causes for a common cold, and there are about 200 versions of this virus. It could be that the version or versions most common in the United States are not the same ones as Poland, and thus you have built up little immunity to the version of Rhinovirus you are contacting.

    Another reason may be that perhaps you are in more crowded situations than in the United States. I don't know if you used public transportation a lot in the US, but I know you frequently ride buses or trams in Poznan. Rhinoviruses can be left behind on hand rails for example.

    And I could almost have guessed you didn't have a kidney stone. Any one I have cared for with a kidney stone required rather big time pain meds.

    I can understand the rib suggestion. When my children were smaller, I broke a rib. I was putting one of them in a car seat in the back seat on a very snowy day. My feet went out from under me, quite literally, and slipped under the car. I came down hard on my right side on what was the curb under snow. I spent three days lying on the floor to support the initial injury. Every once in awhile it comes back to haunt me.

    ReplyDelete