Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Belief.

Being brought up in a Polish household with grandparents, mother, two aunts who were Catholic nuns and living right next to the church, there was no doubt I would be raised as a Catholic. It wasn't until I started attending university, DePaul University, the largest Catholic university in the U.S., that I was exposed to many different types of religions. As I learned more about them, especially the eastern religions like Buddhism, I began to have questions about Catholicism. Questions like why are the Gospels of Thomas and Mary Magdalena not included in the Bible? Some said because Mary was a woman, some said because they were false Gospels but others disagreed. I've seen the movies, read the books of Christians slaughtering Muslims and vice versa. Even today this is happening. Today when asked what I am I still say .....Catholic.  However, I see God everywhere, not just in church. I felt his presence more when I lived in the forest than I do in cities. I see it in young children and I wonder why he allows the slaughter and misery to happen to so many of them. This is also a big question for me. Every prayer I say includes a plea for him to come back and save this world he created. Of course, there are also the personal petitions for help as has been the case the last few weeks when I wrote a short blog that said only....."Bad Day". It was because on that day we found out from Joan's latest CT scan that they found two more aneurysms on the left side of her brain. So I have been praying since then for Him to intervene. I BELIEVE he heard my prayers.

I believe this because today we just came back from the specialist of aneurysms and he started out by drawing a diagram of Joan's brain showing where the two aneurysms were located. They are both on the left artery in the brain, the 1.6 and 2.3. The good news is that he said they DO NOT consider these a threat unless they are 4 or greater in size. At these sizes the risk of rupture is 3%. His advice is to wait 12 months and then have another CT scan done to see if there is a change in size. Three factors can cause change; high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking. Joan does not smoke and takes medicine for high blood pressure(which we monitor every day now) and high cholesterol. Her last cholesterol test a month ago showed normal levels. Tomorrow she will have a halter put on her for 24 hours that will check her blood pressure, automatically, every 24 hours. It will give a print out to see when her levels rise, if by stress, walking, climbing stairs, watching news, etc. From that info we can regulate things a little better. We were both VERY happy with this news. The other good news is that her eye doctor said her cataracts have not changed, her vision is still good and it is not, at this time, necessary to have cataract surgery. So, yes, I am Catholic, I believe in God and that he answered my prayers.

Wychowany w polskim domu z dziadkami, matk膮, dwiema ciotkami, kt贸re by艂y katolickimi zakonnicami  i mieszkaj膮c tu偶 obok ko艣cio艂a, nie by艂o w膮tpliwo艣ci, 偶e b臋d臋 wychowany jako katolik. Kiedy zacz膮艂em studia na DePaul University, najwi臋kszym katolickim uniwersytecie w Stanach Zjednoczonych, by艂em wystawiony na wiele r贸偶nych typ贸w religii. Kiedy dowiedzia艂em si臋 o nich wi臋cej, zw艂aszcza o wschodnich religiach, takie jak buddyzm, zacz膮艂em mie膰 pytania dotycz膮ce katolicyzmu. Takie pytania, jak : dlaczego Ewangelie wg Tomasza i Marii Magdaleny nie s膮 uwzgl臋dnione w Biblii? Niekt贸rzy m贸wili, poniewa偶 Maria by艂a kobiet膮, niekt贸rzy m贸wili, poniewa偶 to by艂y  fa艂szywe ewangelie,  a inni si臋 nie zgadzali. Widzia艂em filmy, czyta艂em ksi膮偶ki jak chrze艣cijanie mordowali  muzu艂man贸w i vice versa. Nawet dzisiaj tak si臋 dzieje. Dzi艣 pytany, kim jestem nadal m贸wi臋 ..... katolikiem. Jednak widz臋 Boga wsz臋dzie, nie tylko w ko艣ciele. Najbardziej czu艂em jego obecno艣膰 , gdy mieszka艂em w lesie a nie w miastach. Widz臋 go w ma艂ych dzieciach i zastanawiam si臋, dlaczego On pozwala na rze藕 i n臋dz臋  wielu z nich. Jest to dla mnie du偶y znak zapytania. Ka偶da modlitwa, kt贸r膮 odmawiam zawiera wo艂anie, aby wr贸ci艂 i uratowa艂  艣wiat, kt贸ry stworzy艂. Oczywi艣cie, istniej膮 r贸wnie偶 osobiste pro艣by o pomoc, jak to mia艂o miejsce w ci膮gu ostatnich kilku tygodni, kiedy napisa艂em kr贸tki blog  ..... "z艂y dzie艅". To dlatego, 偶e w tym dniu dowiedzia艂em si臋 z ostatniej tomografii Joan, 偶e znale藕li kolejne dwa t臋tniaki po lewej stronie jej m贸zgu. Od tego czasu modl臋 si臋 do Niego o interwencj臋. WIERZ臉, 偶e us艂ysza艂 moje modlitwy.

Wierz臋 w to dlatego, 偶e dzi艣 wr贸cili艣my od  specjalisty od t臋tniak贸w. Zacz膮艂,  rysuj膮c schemat m贸zgu Joan i pokazuj膮c,  gdzie znajduj膮 si臋 dwa t臋tniaki. Oba s膮 w lewej t臋tnicy m贸zgu, wielko艣ci 1,6 i 2,3 mm. Dobr膮 wiadomo艣ci膮 jest to, jak powiedzia艂, 偶e nie jest brane  pod uwag臋 zagro偶enie, chyba 偶e b臋d膮  4mmm lub o wi臋kszym rozmiarze. Przy takich rozmiarach ryzyko p臋kni臋cia wynosi 3%. Jego rada jest taka,  aby czeka膰 12 miesi臋cy, a nast臋pnie ponownie wykona膰 TK, aby sprawdzi膰, czy jest zmiana rozmiaru. Trzy czynniki mog膮 spowodowa膰 zmian臋: wysokie ci艣nienie krwi, wysoki poziom cholesterolu oraz palenie tytoniu. Joan nie pali i bierze leki na wysokie ci艣nienie krwi (kt贸re teraz  monitorujemy codziennie) i nie ma wysoki ego poziomu cholesterolu. Jej ostatni test cholesterolu  sprzed miesi膮ca pokaza艂 normalny poziom. Jutro b臋dzie mia艂a za艂o偶ony na dob臋 aparat Holtera, kt贸ry w ci膮gu 24 godzin b臋dzie automatycznie sprawdza膰 jej ci艣nienie krwi . Wykres da si臋 wydrukowa膰, aby zobaczy膰, kiedy  poziom ci艣nienia wzrasta, czy to przez stres, chodzenie, wchodzenie po schodach, ogl膮danie wiadomo艣ci, itd. Ta informacja pozwoli troch臋 lepiej regulowa膰 t膮 spraw臋.  Oboje byli艣my bardzo zadowoleni z tej wiadomo艣ci. Drug膮 dobr膮 wiadomo艣ci膮 jest to, 偶e jej okulista powiedzia艂, 偶e za膰ma na oczach nie uleg艂a zmianie, a jej widzenie jest nadal dobre i na razie operacja katarakty nie jest potrzebna. Tak, tak, jestem katolikiem, wierz臋 w Boga i 偶e On odpowiedzia艂 na moje modlitwy.