Saturday, December 03, 2016

Legginsy.

Today we made a trip to Powjeska street to find that little store that sold warm leggings. It was little. Just enough room for two people, side by side, to walk in. On the walls hung a lot of different socks and leggings. I used my Polish to ask the owner if he had warm leggings and after searching each pair he found ONE. There wasn't anywhere to try them on but the size seemed right so I bought them for Joan, cost 30 zl. They have an inside lining so I am hopeful that first they fit properly and second that they will be warm for her to wear in colder weather. OK, she just tried them on and they fit so the first concern is addressed. Tomorrow we will test them with a walk outside. Traffic in the city is already heavy with Christmas shoppers and Browar was crowded.

While waiting for cars to move forward past the red light I thought about earlier years when my mother would take my brother and I on the bus into town to shop and see all the decorations in the store windows. The cost was only 10 cents that you would deposit in a box inside the bus next to the driver. It was especially nice if it was snowing and the ground was covered.  People and salespeople were kind and courteous in those days, something that has gotten lost in our society today. Last night, for the first time since I moved here, I had a dream about my mother and her brother, my Uncle Chester. I don't know the reason but since moving to Poland I have dreamt of my brother, my mother and an uncle. I didn't do that living in the U.S. Whatever the reason, I am happy about that.

Dziś wybraliśmy się na ulicę Półwiejską, by znaleźć mały sklepik z ciepłymi legginsami. Jest naprawdę malutki. Mieszczą się tam zaledwie osoby. Na ścianach wisi wiele różnorodnych skarpetek i legginsów. Spytałem po polsku właściciela czy ma ciepłe legginsy. Po przeszukaniu swojej oferty, para po parze, znalazł jedną sztukę. Nie było gdzie ich przymierzyć, ale rozmiar wydawał się w porządku, więc kupiłem je dla Joan, kosztowały 30 zł. Mają wewnątrz dodatkową warstwę, więc mam nadzieję, że po pierwsze będą pasować, po drugie - będzie jej ciepło w czasie chłodu. Ok, przymierzyła je właśnie i pasują. Jutro przetestujemy je podczas spaceru. 
W mieście panuje duży przedświąteczny ruch, Browar był zatłoczony.

Czekając, aż auta się ruszą na światłach, myślałem o czasach gdy moja mama brała mojego brata i mnie autobusem do miasta na zakupy oraz by pooglądać dekoracje w witrynach. Jazda autobusem kosztowała zaledwie 10 centów, które wrzucało się do skrzynki znajdującej się obok kierowcy. Jazda była szczególnie miła, gdy padał śnieg i pokrywał ziemię. Ludzie i sprzedawcy byli dla siebie mili i uprzejmi. To coś, co gdzieś się w naszym społeczeństwie zagubiło. 
Wczoraj w nocy, pierwszy raz od czasu gdy się tutaj przeprowadziłem, śniłem o mojej mamie i jej bracie, wujku Chesterze. Nie wiem dlaczego, ale od czasu przeprowadzki do Polski śniłem o moim bracie, mamie i wujku. Mieszkając w Stanach nie zdarzało mi się to. Niezależnie od przyczyny, cieszę się, że tak się dzieje.

1 comment:

  1. The small buses and trams in Ukraine still do the change in the container. Money is even passed forward and change passed backward to the proper person. No one steals the money.

    ReplyDelete