Monday, December 21, 2015

White Christmas?

A white Christmas will only come to us this year through memories of old ones. Christmas in the U.P was always white and when I was young also. However, greed, profits and the disregard for this planet's environment has changed all that and I don't want to get into that discussion at this time of the year. I would rather just remember then many beautiful white Christmases I have had in my life. Maybe next year we will spend it in a place where we can be assured of one more.

At this time in two days we will be making our way through Germany via a train and we're looking forward to the journey. It should be an interesting experience having Christmas in Germany. Naturally, I would rather spend Wigilia with family but that isn't going to happen so at least we can spend it with friends. I'm finding that, with the exception of a few family members, friends are better than family. Tomorrow evening we will pack a small suitcase for our trip and then Wednesday morning take a taxi to the train station for our train.

Thanks to you readers who sent Christmas greetings to Joan and I. We appreciate it.

When I think of Christmas, my first picture in my mind is the one my brother took, years ago when I was serving in the military just after he had served. The picture is of the Christmas tree and instead of an angel or a star on the top of it, my brother put a hat that I wore sometimes at home. He put it up there to remind everyone of me while I was not there for Christmas. It's been 42 years since he died but he's never far from my memories of him.

Białe Boże Narodzenie przyjdzie do nas w tym roku przez wspomnienia poprzednich świąt. Boże Narodzenie w Upper Penisula  było zawsze białe, a kiedy byłem młody było tak samo. Jednak chciwość, zysk i lekceważenie środowiska naszej planety zmieniło wszystko i nie chcę o tym dyskutować o tej porze roku. Wolałbym po prostu pamiętać wiele pięknych, białych Świąt Bożego Narodzenia, które miałem w moim życiu. Może w przyszłym roku spędzimy je w miejscu, w którym możemy tego być bardziej pewni.

Za dwa dni o tej porze będziemy w trakcie naszej podróży pociągiem do Niemiec i już na nią czekamy. Spędzenie Świąt Bożego Narodzenia w Niemczech powinno być ciekawym doświadczeniem. Oczywiście, wolałbym spędzić Wigilię z rodziną, ale nie ma na to widoków, więc przynajmniej możemy spędzić je z przyjaciółmi. Jestem zdania, że z wyjątkiem kilku członków rodziny, przyjaciele są lepsi niż rodzina. Jutro wieczorem spakujemy małą walizkę, a następnie w środę rano weźmiemy taksówkę na dworzec kolejowy.

Dziękuję Wam czytelnicy za nadesłane dla Joanny i mnie świąteczne życzenia. Doceniamy to.

Kiedy myślę o Bożym Narodzeniu, to pierwszym obrazkiem w mojej głowie jest zdjęcie, które zrobił mój brat lata temu, kiedy ja właśnie byłem w wojsku, a on już zakończył służbę. Na zdjęciu jest  choinka i zamiast anioła lub gwiazdy na szczycie, mój brat umieścił kapelusz, który czasami nosiłem w domu. Umieścił go tam, aby wszystkim o mnie przypomnieć, ponieważ wówczas nie byłem z rodziną na Boże Narodzenie. Minęło już 42 lata od jego śmierci, ale on zawsze jest blisko moich o nim wspomnień.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet memory of your brother...and how poignant the action he took to keep your memory close to home also. What a special bond you must have had as brothers.

    I hope you and Joan have a wonderful time in Germany. My husband and I were stationed there (twice) in the 70s and we loved being there at Christmas... especially visiting the various Kristkindlmarkts and enjoying the beautiful handmade ornaments and delicious foods for sale.

    ReplyDelete