Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Blink.

In the blink of an eye, the world turns. Joan woke up this morning at 9:00 and putting on her overshirt while I was in the kitchen making breakfast. I called to her to see how she was doing. Her reply was different than other times. I went into the bedroom only to find she was having another seizure. I put my arms around her and told her I was here and this would pass. I kept talking to her to try to distract from the horrible experience she was going through. It lasted 5 minutes.

After the one three months ago, she hasn't made much progress in walking but I'm accustomed to that now. The daily routine was becoming normal and I had no thought of another seizure. She is taking anti-seizure drugs three times a day. so I was shocked when it happened again. I'm powerless to stop them. I'm doing everything I can to make her life enjoyable as it is. It's just not enough to stop the seizures. How many can she absorb?

W mgnieniu oka świat się zmienia. Joan obudziła się dziś rano o 9:00 i włożyła podkoszulek, kiedy ja byłem w kuchni robiąc śniadanie. Zadzwoniłem do niej, żeby zobaczyć, jak sobie radzi. Jej odpowiedź była inna niż poprzednio. Wszedłem do sypialni i stwierdziłem, że ma kolejny atak. Objąłem ją ramionami i powiedziałem, że tu jestem i to minie. Rozmawiałem z nią, próbując odwrócić uwagę od okropnego doświadczenia, przez które przechodziła. Trwało to 5 minut.

Po tej sprzed trzech miesięcy nie zrobiła większych postępów w chodzeniu, ale teraz jestem do tego przyzwyczajony. Codzienna rutyna stawała się normalna i nie myślałem o kolejnym napadzie. Trzy razy dziennie bierze leki przeciwdrgawkowe. więc byłem zszokowany, kiedy to się powtórzyło. Nie jestem w stanie ich powstrzymać. Robię wszystko, co w mojej mocy, aby jej życie było przyjemne. Po prostu nie wystarczy, aby zatrzymać napady. Ile może wchłonąć?

En un abrir y cerrar de ojos, el mundo gira. Joan se despertó esta mañana a las 9:00 y se puso la sobrecamisa mientras yo estaba en la cocina preparando el desayuno. La llamé para ver cómo estaba. Su respuesta fue diferente a otras veces. Entré en el dormitorio solo para descubrir que estaba teniendo otra convulsión. La rodeé con mis brazos y le dije que estaba aquí y que esto pasaría. Seguí hablando con ella para tratar de distraerme de la horrible experiencia por la que estaba pasando. Duró 5 minutos.

Después del de hace tres meses, no ha avanzado mucho en la marcha, pero ahora estoy acostumbrado. La rutina diaria se estaba volviendo normal y no pensaba en otra convulsión. Toma medicamentos anticonvulsivos tres veces al día. así que me sorprendió cuando sucedió de nuevo. Soy impotente para detenerlos. Estoy haciendo todo lo que puedo para que su vida sea tan agradable como es. Simplemente no es suficiente para detener las convulsiones. ¿Cuántos puede absorber?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 PM

    I am sorry for you David ,I pray for you and Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Joan's seizure. My prayers for you both.
    Does that make the decision for you, about therapy?
    Her vaccine is probably the last thing on your mind right now, however I found out why I was never called, for a vaccine shot at Beaumont. It was because my husband and I have the same email address. Could that be the problem with Joan's appointment also.
    I ended up going to the Health Department for my shot. It was a very good experience. They were well organized.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Helen. No, that's not the problem. It's because they don't have enough vaccine deliveries yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:13 AM

    Lately, whenever I find myself returning to your blog (as in catching up after a time), it has been with bated breath. Your post here is that reason-- I join your other readers who also posted comments, in expressing my sympathy and dismay that your dear wife has undergobe anotheer seizure.

    As always, Joan and yourself remain in my prayers for the road ahead. Your determination is unending, as is your love.

    I somehow missed the news in the past that your good friend, Zbsyzek also finds himself in a wheelchair; am glad he's in the care of his family and you both were able to visit him (I bet he was glad too).

    David, you carry on-- your cookery (now the baking-- WHO bakes anymore?! Seeing that Babka, I wanted to cut a slice off the photo and skather it w.butter!!) is astounding; Joan has been the beneficiary in at least, this way (it's good that you two are both slim-jims)!

    Blessings and best outcomes,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Stephanie. After I wrote this blog I thought about it. Lately, my blogs have been depressing and that isn't the way I want to write but my blog is also like a diary so I write what I am thinking. I hope future blogs will be better, more jovial. I feel like I'm writing to a friend in the readers who comment so I just write it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:57 AM

    I fully understand. This is your blog, David, and you have every right to express yourself however you feel (it's good you have this space as an outlet for your feelings). What I really meant was, not whether it sounds 'downish'or 'uppish'; it's that I don't want anything more 'bad' happening to Joan or overwhelming
    you (it's concern-- maybe unrealistic, cause life is life and things happen, but....).
    That's all I meant. You go on writing
    "to friends"-- we're listening:~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I fully understood what you meant and I didn't mean my explanation as a rebuttal. I appreciate all of the comments of "friends", yours was no different. :-)

    ReplyDelete