Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Registry

Today I went to the Registry office to file my birth and marriage certificate. I had no idea how long it would take, mainly because of the language barrier It took forever to find someone who could understand what and why I wanted to do that and I only hope they understood me well enough to get it done correctly. Time will tell if they did and I receive a call that the documents are ready that I need to add to my application for Polish citizenship. It reminded me of our first years here with all the problems we had in government offices because of language. I just don't know enough Polish even now after 9 years living here.

Earlier in the day we had a call from our bank about our credit card payment saying it was overdue even though I had paid it weeks ago. It seems because Joan is the primary name on the account and I am only a secondary account, each account is handled by a different department and one doesn't know what the other is doing. Finally, after two hours on the phone, we got it straightened out. It was a little frustrating but we have dealt with things like this before so it was no big thing in the end.

Last night I had a good time with my little neighbor, Zuzia, convincing her to teach me the Polish Christmas carol, Dzisiaj w Betlejem. There are 5 verses but I think only 3 or 4 are actually sung, normally. It will be interesting if she continues to help me.

Dzisiaj poszed艂em do urz臋du stanu cywilnego, aby wype艂ni膰 dokumenty do uzyskania akt贸w mojego urodzenia i ma艂偶e艅stwa. Nie mia艂em poj臋cia, jak d艂ugo mog艂oby to potrwa膰, g艂贸wnie ze wzgl臋du na barier臋 j臋zykow膮.  Wieki zaj臋艂o  znalezienie kogo艣, kto m贸g艂by zrozumie膰, co i dlaczego chcia艂em zrobi膰 i tylko mam nadziej臋, 偶e rozumiej膮 mnie na tyle dobrze, aby zrobi膰 to poprawnie. Czas poka偶e, czy zrozumieli, a ja odbior臋 telefon, 偶e dokumenty s膮 gotowe, by je doda膰 do mojego wniosku o polskie obywatelstwo. Przypomnia艂y mi si臋 nasze pierwsze lata tutaj ze wszystkimi problemami, jakie mieli艣my w urz臋dach z powodu j臋zyka. Nie znam wystarczaj膮co j臋zyka polskiego nawet teraz po 9 latach tutaj sp臋dzonych.

Wcze艣niej tego dnia mieli艣my telefon z naszego banku na temat p艂atno艣ci kart膮 kredytow膮 z informacj膮 m贸wi膮c膮, 偶e zalegam ze sp艂at膮,  cho膰 zap艂aci艂em to tydzie艅 temu. Wydaje si臋, 偶e z powodu tego, 偶e Joan figuruje jako g艂贸wny posiadacz konta, a ja jestem drugim w艂a艣cicielem, to ka偶de konto jest obs艂ugiwane przez inny dzia艂 i jeden nie wie, co robi drugi. Wreszcie, po dw贸ch godzinach „na telefonie”, mamy spraw臋  wyprostowan膮.  To by艂o troch臋 frustruj膮ce, ale mieli艣my do czynienia z takimi rzeczami, jak ta ju偶 wcze艣niej, wi臋c to w ko艅cu nie by艂o nic wielkiego.

Zesz艂ego wieczoru 艣wietnie si臋 bawi艂em z moj膮 ma艂膮 s膮siadk膮 Zuzi膮, przekonuj膮c j膮, aby nauczy艂a mnie polskiej kol臋dy „Dzisiaj w Betlejem”. Istnieje 5 zwrotek, ale my艣l臋, 偶e tylko 3 lub 4 s膮 rzeczywi艣cie 艣piewane. To b臋dzie interesuj膮ce, je艣li ona nadal b臋dzie mi pomaga膰.