Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Gibson

I don't know why but today I was thinking about one of the guitars I once owned. It was a 1936 Gibson used mainly with orchestras. It was a wide-bodied, unamplified the became the grandfather of the L-5 guitar used a lot in jazz in later years. It was a work of art. The body and neck were made out of beautiful curly-maple and the fingerboard was ebony wood. For an unamplified guitar, it carried a lot of sounds. The case that held it was made of thin steel and the inside was purple velvet. Unfortunately, at the time I bought it, I wasn't into taking pictures only music as I attended DePaul University School of Music. How I acquired it is, I think, a magical story.

I was working in a small music store at a now for years abandoned shopping mall. I was a clerk/salesman. One night an elderly woman came in with her granddaughter, looking for a guitar for her. The girl was about 10 years old. They didn't know what they wanted so I told them, for a beginner, it would be better to start with a nylon-string guitar because it would be easier on the little girl's finger. Later. if she pursued it, she could switch to a steel-string guitar.

The grandmother told me she had an old guitar of her husband's in a closet but it was old. Her husband had bought it before he went into the war, WWII. He didn't return from it. That aroused my curiosity so I asked if she remembered the brand name of the guitar. She said no but she thought it started with a G. Now, even more curious, I asked if she would bring it in for me to look at. The next night she returned carrying the guitar.

The case was in perfect shape. The yellow case had to orange stripe around the neck if I remember the right color of the stripes. There was no rust on it and when I opened it up, the guitar lay in purple velvet not even crushed when the guitar had laid when I picked it up. I sat down and tuned it, The strings needed replacement but I ran through a couple of scales, then a few standard songs. The sounds easily emanated a filled the room. I loved it but couldn't imagine I could afford to buy it.

I told her my story of going to music school in the daytime and working evenings to support my wife and child. I told her the guitar had value because of its age and condition but I didn't know exactly how much. I told her how much I liked the guitar but I could only offer her $100. She said she appreciated me telling her about the guitars yesterday and the advice I gave and she took. She sold me the guitar.

I had a fellow guitarist who had contacts at the Gibson company so I called him, told him what I had just bought, and gave him the serial number. The next day he called me back and said it was made in 1936 before WWII started.  On my next payday, I bought new strings and Shaller tuning keys for replacement of the old ones on the neck. I thought about having a cut-away made to make it easier to reach the upper notes but decided against it. I didn't want to damage the originality of the instrument.

Later, I did adapt it a little by having 2 Johnny Smith pickups installed.  I carried it and my classical guitar to DePaul every day on the train. The case was heavy but well protected the guitar. Before winter I bought a cover for the case.

Finally, when my life of music ended, I traded the guitar for a 1977 Ford F100 pickup to make my move to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Like the U.P., I think of them both often now.

Update: It looks like the 2 Democrats have won the seats in Georgia. FANTASTIC! Now McConnell will no longer control the Senate. The Democrats will have control of all 3 in 2 weeks, the White House, The Senate, and the House of Representatives.

Nie wiem dlaczego, ale dziś myślałem o jednej z gitar, które kiedyś posiadałem. Była to gitara Gibsona z 1936 roku używana głównie w orkiestrach. Miała szeroki kadłub, o niewzmocnionym dźwięku i stała się protoplastą gitary L-5, której w późniejszych latach dużo używano w jazzie. Było to dzieło sztuki. Korpus i szyjka wykonane były z pięknego, kręconego metalu, a podstrunnica z drewna hebanowego. Jak na niewzmocnioną gitarę, niosła ona wiele dźwięków. Obudowa, która ją trzymała, była wykonana z cienkiej stali, a wnętrze było z aksamitu w kolorze fioletu. Niestety, kiedy ją kupiłem, nie zajmowałem się tylko fotografowaniem ale muzyką, ponieważ uczęszczałem do DePaul University School of Music. To, jak ją nabyłem jest, jak sądzę, magiczną historią.

Przez lata pracowałem w małym sklepie muzycznym w opuszczonym centrum handlowym. Byłem urzędnikiem/sprzedawcą. Pewnego wieczoru przyszła starsza kobieta ze swoją wnuczką, szukając dla niej gitary. Dziewczyna miała około 10 lat. Nie wiedziały, czego chcą, więc powiedziałem im, że dla początkujących lepiej byłoby zacząć od gitary ze strunami nylonowymi, ponieważ byłoby łatwiej dla palców małej dziewczynki. Później, jeśli by kontynuowała, mogłaby przejść na gitarę ze strunami metalowymi.

Babcia powiedziała mi, że ma w szafie starą gitarę męża. Jej mąż kupił ją przed II wojną. Nie wrócił z niej. To wzbudziło moją ciekawość, więc spytałam, czy pamięta markę gitary. Powiedziała, że nie, ale myślała, że zaczynała się na G. Teraz, jeszcze bardziej zaciekawiona, spytałem, czy przyniosłaby mi ją do obejrzenia. Następnego wieczoru wróciła niosąc gitarę.

8Obudowa była w doskonałej formie. Żółty futerał miał pomarańczowy pasek wokół szyjki, jeśli pamiętam właściwy kolor pasków. Nie było na niej rdzy, a kiedy ją otworzyłem, gitara leżała na fioletowym aksamicie, nawet nie zgniecionym, kiedy ją podniosłem, chociaż gitara na nim leżała, Usiadłem i dostroiłem ją, struny wymagały wymiany, ale przegrałem kilka gam, potem kilka standardowych utworów. Wydzielane dźwięki łatwo wypełniały pokój. Kochałem ją, ale nie mogłem sobie wyobrazić, że stać mnie na jej kupno.

Powiedziałem jej o tym, że za dnia chodzę do szkoły muzycznej, a wieczorami pracuję, by wspierać moją żonę i dziecko. Powiedziałem jej, że gitara jest cenna ze względu na swój wiek i kondycję, ale nie wiedziałem dokładnie, jak bardzo. Powiedziałem jej, jak bardzo podoba mi się ta gitara, ale mogłem jej zaoferować tylko 100 dolarów. Powiedziała, że docenia to, co wczoraj powiedziałem jej o gitarze i radach jakich udzieliłem, z których skorzystała. Sprzedała mi gitarę.

Miałem kolegę gitarzystę, który miał kontakty w firmie Gibson, więc zadzwoniłem do niego, powiedziałem mu co właśnie kupiłem i podałem mu numer seryjny. Następnego dnia oddzwonił do mnie i powiedział, że gitara została wyprodukowana w 1936 roku, zanim rozpoczęła się II wojna światowa. Po następnej wypłacie kupiłem nowe struny i klucze do strojenia Shallera ,by wymienić stare na gryfie. Myślałem o skróceniu strun, co ułatwiłoby mi uzyskanie wysokich tonów, ale nie zdecydowałem się na to. Nie chciałem naruszać oryginału instrumentu.

Później trochę ją zaadaptowałem, instalując 2 przetworniki Johnny'ego Smitha. Codziennie nosiłem ją i moją gitarę klasyczną do pociągu zdążającego do DePaula. Obudowa była ciężka, ale dobrze chroniła gitarę. Przed zimą kupiłem pokrowiec na futerał.

W końcu, kiedy skończyło się moje życie muzyczne, wymieniłem gitarę na furgonetkę Ford F100 z 1977 roku, aby przeprowadzić się na Upper Penisula w Michigan. Tak jak dotychczas o U.(pper) P.(enisula), teraz często myślę o nich obu.

No sé por qué, pero hoy estaba pensando en una de las guitarras que tuve. Era una Gibson de 1936 utilizada principalmente con orquestas. Era una guitarra de cuerpo ancho, sin amplificaciones, que se convirtió en el abuelo de la guitarra L-5 que se usó mucho en el jazz en años posteriores. Fue una obra de arte. El cuerpo y el mástil estaban hechos de un hermoso arce rizado y el diapasón era de madera de ébano. Para una guitarra sin amplificación, tenía muchos sonidos. El estuche que lo contenía estaba hecho de acero fino y el interior era de terciopelo púrpura. Desafortunadamente, en el momento en que lo compré, no me gustaba tomar fotografías solo música, ya que asistía a la Escuela de Música de la Universidad DePaul. Cómo lo adquirí es, creo, una historia mágica.

Estaba trabajando en una pequeña tienda de música en un centro comercial abandonado desde hace años. Yo era un empleado / vendedor. Una noche, una anciana entró con su nieta en busca de una guitarra para ella. La niña tenía unos 10 años. No sabían lo que querían, así que les dije que, para un principiante, sería mejor comenzar con una guitarra de cuerdas de nailon porque sería más fácil para el dedo de la niña. Más tarde. si lo buscaba, podría cambiar a una guitarra de cuerdas de acero.

La abuela me dijo que tenía una vieja guitarra de su marido en un armario, pero era vieja. Su marido lo había comprado antes de entrar en la guerra, la Segunda Guerra Mundial. No regresó de eso. Eso despertó mi curiosidad, así que le pregunté si recordaba la marca de la guitarra. Ella dijo que no, pero pensó que comenzaba con una G. Ahora, aún más curioso, le pregunté si me lo traería para que lo viera. A la noche siguiente regresó con la guitarra.

El estuche estaba en perfecto estado. La caja amarilla tenía una raya naranja alrededor del cuello si recuerdo el color correcto de las rayas. No había óxido en él y cuando lo abrí, la guitarra estaba en terciopelo púrpura ni siquiera aplastado cuando la guitarra se había puesto cuando la tomé. Me senté y lo afiné, las cuerdas necesitaban ser reemplazadas pero pasé por un par de escalas, luego algunas canciones estándar. Los sonidos emanaban fácilmente y llenaban la habitación. Me encantó, pero no podía imaginarme que pudiera permitirme comprarlo.

Le conté mi historia de ir a la escuela de música durante el día y trabajar por la noche para mantener a mi esposa e hijo. Le dije que la guitarra tenía valor por su antigüedad y condición, pero no sabía exactamente cuánto. Le dije lo mucho que me gustaba la guitarra pero que solo podía ofrecerle $ 100. Dijo que apreciaba que le contara sobre las guitarras ayer y los consejos que le di y ella siguió. Ella me vendió la guitarra.

Tenía un compañero guitarrista que tenía contactos en la compañía Gibson, así que lo llamé, le dije lo que acababa de comprar y le di el número de serie. Al día siguiente me llamó y me dijo que estaba hecho en 1936 antes de que comenzara la Segunda Guerra Mundial. En mi próximo día de pago, compré nuevas cuerdas y llaves de afinación Shaller para reemplazar las viejas en el mástil. Pensé en hacer un corte para que fuera más fácil llegar a las notas superiores, pero decidí no hacerlo. No quería dañar la originalidad del instrumento.

Más tarde, lo adapté un poco instalando 2 pastillas Johnny Smith. La llevé con mi guitarra clásica a DePaul todos los días en el tren. El estuche era pesado pero la guitarra estaba bien protegida. Antes del invierno compré una funda para el estuche.

Finalmente, cuando mi vida musical terminó, cambié la guitarra por una camioneta Ford F100 de 1977 para mudarme a la península superior de Michigan. Al igual que la U.P., ahora pienso en ambos a menudo.

Actualización: Parece que los 2 demócratas ganaron los escaños en Georgia. ¡FANTÁSTICO! Ahora McConnell ya no controlará el Senado. Los demócratas tendrán el control de los 3 en 2 semanas, la Casa Blanca, el Senado y la Cámara de Representantes.

No comments:

Post a Comment