Tuesday, March 10, 2015

We met!

We met with Gordon today as scheduled. He was on time and we talked for about an hour before he left. He is from South Bned, Indiana and home of the University of Notre Dame. It's also the place where cousin Tom Burzycki and his wife, Ann live. Gordon, along with George Zeltner, are former adult  Polsih students of Ann. Small world isn't it! We talked about learning the Polish language and what living in Poland was really like. He was happy to be reading our blog and said encouraging words about my writings.

This got me to thinking today about the blog and you can help me, if you will. What I would like to know is why you read it, what are the things you like about it and what are the things you don't like about it or would like to see be changed. It doesn't mean I will change it but I would like to hear from you what you think. If the statistics are accurate and I average about 1,800 views per week, I hope to hear from 1% of you.  You can post your comments to the blog or send them in a private email to me. The address is at the top of the blog.

Dzisiaj, zgodnie z planem spotkaliśmy się z Gordonem. Był punktualny i zanim wyszedł, rozmawialiśmy przez około godzinę. On jest z Południowej Bned, w Indianie i jest związany z University of Notre Dame. Jest to także miejsce, gdzie mieszkają kuzyn Tom Burzycki i jego żona Ann . Gordon wraz z George Zeltner byli dorosłymi, polskimi studentami  Ann. Jaki ten  świat mały! Rozmawialiśmy o nauce języka polskiego i tym, jak naprawdę wygląda życie w Polsce. Był szczęśliwy, że czyta naszego bloga i powiedział pokrzepiające słowa o moim pisaniu.

To dało mi dzisiaj do myślenia  o blogu i jeśli będziesz chciał, możesz mi pomóc,. Chciałbym wiedzieć, dlaczego go czytasz, jakie są rzeczy, które lubisz i których nie lubisz lub co chciałbyś, aby zostało zmienione. To nie znaczy, że zmienię bloga, ale chciałbym usłyszeć od ciebie, co myślisz. Jeśli statystyki są dokładne i średnio jest około 1800 wejść na bloga na tydzień, mam nadzieję usłyszeć coś od  1% spośród wszystkich czytających. Możesz dodawać swoje komentarze na blogu lub wysłać je do mnie w prywatnym mailu. Adres jest na górze bloga.

5 comments:

  1. I read your blog David to live vicariously through your adventures. I came to America as a young girl of 4 and it wasn't until 2005 (when I was 55) that I visited all my relatives in Poland (we were the only part of the family to migrate to America).

    I had lost my fluency in Polish and had a difficult time composing sentences to speak with my relatives, though my comprehension was decent enough.

    I had always dreamed of visiting Poland multiple times and had planned on additional trips back (with additional brushing up on my conversational skills) but life threw some significant challenges my ways that precluded me from making any additional trips.

    I love hearing the day-to-day activities and generally anything else you think to write about. You provide me with a picture of what life in Poland is like. And I thank you so much for being so diligent in doing so. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete






  2. "This got me to thinking today about the blog and you can help me, if you will. What I would like to know is why you read it, what are the things you like about it and what are the things you don't like about it or would like to see be changed. It doesn't mean I will change it but I would like to hear from you what you think. If the statistics are accurate and I average about 1,800 views per week, I hope to hear from 1% of you. You can post your comments to the blog or send them in a private email to me. The address is at the top of the blog."





    You asked-- (for some reason I cannot access your email, thus am posting to blog):


    I started (and continue) reading your blog because I too, am of Polish heritage and am interested knowing about my ancestry; but have yet to visit there and experience iit for myself, so I am quite fascinated by your own experience in deciding to move to and reside there.





    Things about your blog that I like:


    Your generosity in sharing both the 'daily details' of living in Poland as well as the adventures of your travels.


    You also have a talent for photography that ads to the appeal of the trips.





    Probably not 'practically' what you are asking for but, I don't think there is anything I "don't like" about your blog, given that it is a unique record of two unique people. What's more, your courage and risk-taking, as a 'retired couple' (hardly that!) enacted and implied in your lifestyle decisions, is very admirable and inspiring.





    If I would be forced to say anything, I guess I could offer that sometimes I feel visually overwhelmed by


    the sheer amount of text/information I am seeing at once, as I view the blog page. But, really, it IS very organized and it is all very valid information that I or someone else wants to read or look at. I think the 'textual overhwhelm' is because I am pretty Right-brain leaning and responsive to color/pattern.





    So I am wondering if perhaps (for those of us who are so inclined) there can be demarcation of info sections by 'color-coding' (maybe by some light/translucscent tinting (e.g. of trips section, calendar section, main comments, etc.)-- if it is possible and done so as not too be to color-clashed, this might make the page stand out more as well).


    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:19 AM

    Hi David and Joan, I have long followed your blog and I really love it, its give up to date information of day to day living in Poland, I like your openness and honest thoughts, I would like to hear more about day to day events that occur in your life, what is going on in your local and wider community. You have never mentioned
    customer service in shops or attitude of drivers on the road for example, what the people think of the polish leaders and your ideas on how Poland can be a better country. One of my life long ambitions is to have a opportunity to meet you in Poland. Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcus and Lucie,
    Thanks for responding to my question. I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stephanie,
    I'll see what I can do about color coding but Blogger is a little limited in that area.

    ReplyDelete